Reporting to the Interim Associate Athletics Director for Marketing, Licensing and Multimedia Services, the Director of Marketing and Fan Experience will oversee production of marketing plans, game day promotional activities and fan experience. Priority will be given to department sponsorship requirements while improving the fan experience. The incumbent will work to build and strengthen community outreach through researching and developing new grassroots marketing with the goal of increasing attendance at home athletic events.
- Spearhead efforts in creation and fulfillment of marketing plans and strategies in an effort to increase department revenue and attendance while continually improving the fan experience.
- Develop timing sheets, game scripts and plan, conduct, and evaluate effectiveness of game-day promotional and entertainment activities and promotions.
- Serve as main game day producer in charge of execution of all game day related fan experience elements such as video board production, run of show, fan zones, etc.
- Lead the ideation, planning and implementation of cutting-edge promotions, fan engagement opportunities and other in-venue interactive activities.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase levels of student involvement; Including, but not limited to, appearing at student group meetings, orientation, working closely with Student Government, Recreational Sports, Student Affairs and Residence Life to provide activities for students in conjunction with athletic events.
- Plan and execute e-mail marketing plans, including concept development, initiation, and evaluation of effectiveness.
- Serve as contributor in web content for the main website sjsuspartans.com.
- Provide website management through communications with WMT.
- Provide oversight and work-lead direction; train and schedule interns and graduate assistant staff as well as game day staffing to present the best possible fan experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of NCAA Compliance Rules and athletics department policies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in written or presentation form
- Strong skills in event planning and lead generation
- Ability to train others in new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction
- Working knowledge of computer software programs such as: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and database management
- Proficient knowledge of full range of production techniques including graphics and photography
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop
- Basic photography skills such as film speed, light, and color requirements and Knowledge of still or motion photography
- Ability to use and maintain studio, camera and related equipment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain working relationships with staff and students
- Skills in training and working with a volunteer student staff
- Thorough knowledge of all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Ability to manage a flexible schedule, including travel and attendance at all home and select road athletic events
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training.
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or similar field
- Experience working in marketing/fan experience setting, including in-venue game production and/or in-game host
- Experience with Adobe Suite
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
CSU Salary Range: $4,170/month - $7,545/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 14, 2023 through November 27, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).