Reporting to the Deputy Athletics Director for PR and Content Strategy, the Associate Athletics Director for Marketing, Digital Media, and Licensing will be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining all marketing and promotions strategies and advertising that lead to increased visibility and revenue generation. The position will also oversee creative services digital media, including web, video, and social media; Act as liaison to the media rights holder; Oversee the licensing and brand development of the athletics department logos and marks; and serve as part of the athletics management team.
- Develop, implement, and execute a comprehensive marketing plan for 22 division I sports.
- Oversee external marketing and connect with community groups to sell tickets and activate the Spartan brand in the marketplace.
- Outline promotions and ticket sales strategies emphasizing increasing revenue, raising attendance, and enhancing in-game promotions to maximize the fan experience.
- Assume overall responsibility for in-game marketing and promotions associated with home athletics events, including but not limited to the production of run of show timelines and public address scripts, operation and production of video boards, organization of in-venue music and time-out coordination with band, cheer, and dance, as well as activation of sponsorship agreements.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase and maintain high levels of student involvement.
- Assist in coordinating and fulfilling sponsorships as they relate to contractual obligations through the media rights holder.
- Manager, curator, and main website lead/point of contact for sjsuspartans.com.
- Coordinate media buying that includes but is not limited to television, radio, print and web.
- Develop and implement direct marketing campaigns and daily content utilizing print, email and new media.
- Manage Video Production and Graphic Design for digital platforms.
- Launch and manage social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media/collaboration sites.
- Ensure social media efforts are aligned with the overall marketing objectives and goals of the campaign.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in NCAA, SJSU as well as Mountain West Conference rule and regulations
- Strong ability to provide effective direction in managing the flow of work
- Working knowledge of Marketing Leadership and developing strong marketing plans and Gameday Productions
- Ability to communicate with constituents in a professional and respectful manner
- Ability to manage a team of professional employees as well as student employees and or volunteers
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of marketing principles
- Ability to be resourceful and solution oriented
- Ability to work varying hours, including late nights, weekends and holidays
- Strong oral communication skills; Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills, as well as the ability to speak in public
- Working knowledge, or the ability to learn basic HTML and understanding of website maintenance
- Ability to design web formatted graphics
- Working knowledge of Production and layout management with a strong ability to perform quality assurance
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to produce and direct live and recorded events
- Proficient in the following software and interfaces: Adobe Creative Suite: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe In Design, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Lightroom and other photography software and use of RAW files
- Working knowledge of Daktronics Venus 7000 and Show Control, and an ability to learn computer software interfaces quickly
- Working knowledge of social media and digital asset management, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Ability to recruit, hire and train full-time staff and hire student interns
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Minimum of two years’ experience leading a Marketing Department in professional or collegiate athletics
- Master's Degree in a related field
- Three to five years of experience in marketing and multimedia service areas, including supervision of staff, as well as running in-game productions
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,500/month - $8,334/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,583/month - $14,713/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 30, 2023 through November 12, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment, and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).