*This is a part-time 20 hours per week (4 hours daily), 1:00pm - 5:00pm, benefited position. *
Reporting to the Director of Resources and Operations and receiving work lead direction from the Administrative Analyst, the Administrative Support Coordinator provides administrative support to the Political Science department under general supervision. This position performs moderate to complex administrative support duties for the department chair, administrative staff, and students and faculty.
- Acts as front-line receptionist, answers phones, greets faculty, staff, students and visitors
- Coordinates, composes, and proofs mailings and other forms of communication and publicity
- Produces, copy edits, proofreads, and manages all course syllabi/green sheets and other departmental publications including forms
- Assists with coordination of special events and receptions
- Processes key, equipment and service requests
- Coordinates and maintains departmental databases
- Orders, maintains, and distributes office supplies and classroom materials, and reconciles monthly ProCard statements
- Provides ongoing support to chair and faculty members
- Maintains undergraduate and graduate student files for MPA program (electronic & paper files)
- Manages student grade changes and other forms
- Provides information to prospective and current students
- Maintains and manages databases MPA students and alumni
- Runs Enrollment Planning Reports for department chair
- Updates departmental website including faculty pages, course descriptions, departmental events
- Uploads course materials to departmental website each term
- Updates faculty office hours on departmental website each semester
- Creates and edits online student forms for academic advising (major forms), scholarship and internship applications
- Maintains departmental social media/networking accounts
- Updates alumni email lists
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office – especially Word and Excel
- Advanced user of Doodle (online scheduling tool)
- Advanced user of Google Drive (online calendar and file sharing)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Advanced understanding of online form use – including Google Drive
- Ability to easily navigate online social networking tools – including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc
- Attention to detail in a busy environment, maintaining a friendly demeanor
- Ability to effectively write and present reports to department chair
- Ability to communicate with constituents in a professional and respectful manner
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Clerical experience in an office setting (maintaining files, answering phones, and customer service)
- Experience in Web maintenance and management.
- Purchasing experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Adobe Suite, web development/management software, graphic design skills, and email programs such as Gmail.
- Excellent written communication skills, organization skills, customer service skills, and teamwork skills
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,043/month - $2,140/month (Part-Time)
CSU Salary Range: $3,505/month - $5,508/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 1, 2023 through November 15, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Monday - Friday, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).