Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid Operations and Technology, the Financial Aid Operations Coordinator supports the successful implementation of student financial aid program services. Under general supervision, the coordinator will provide courteous and accurate customer service to all prospective students, university constituents, and campus community. The Financial Aid Operations Coordinator is primarily responsible for coordinating a variety of interrelated workflow processes to ensure the timely receipt, coding, referral and processing of financial aid documents related to the Financial Aid application and awarding process for all San Jose State University applicants. The coordinator coordinates, implements, and maintains clerical, administrative and customer support functions for all aspects of the Financial Aid services document management. The incumbent will also provide assistance to students and families in completing the financial aid process.
- Provides excellent customer service; primarily through heavy telephone contact, e-mail, appropriate follow up, and assists students at the front counter
- Maintains general knowledge of all federal and state Financial Aid programs including grants, loans and work study with ability to explain the process
- Participate at on-campus yield events explaining the financial aid process to perspective San Jose State University students
- Performs intake of and is responsible for all aspects of required financial aid documents
- Coordinates document receipting and data/workflow processing
- Analyzes data for input into OnBase indexing software
- Receives, verifies, and ensures the completion of all supporting financial documents
- Coordinates the compilation, tracking, and timely receipt of all documents required to process applications for the financial aid verification and awarding process
- Completes and maintains student application status, and document verification/editing via computerized system
- Performs credit checks for Federal Plus Loans
- Create and maintain the office social media presence on campus
- Ensures completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of production functions within area of responsibility
- Provide assistance with the financial literacy program to provide financial empowerment to students
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of University methods, procedures and practices
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate rations and percentages, track financial data and make simple projections
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to keep current on various Enrollment and Financial Aid and Scholarship Office Service information, policies, and procedures, and recall, access, and interpret wide range of information to address customer’s questions and service needs
- Ability to engage in effective interpersonal communications, and to direct, inform, instruct, guide, and assist visitors/callers appropriately
- Knowledge of databases and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, web browser, File Maker Pro, or comparable databases
- Working knowledge of budget policies and procedures
- Ability to formulate daily and weekly reports for both internal and external use
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks for a variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist
- Ability to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough, and creative solutions
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Knowledge of all federal and state Financial Aid programs including grants, loans and work study with ability to explain processes.
- Must maintain basic knowledge to explain information to students
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Two years of related office work experience
- Experience providing customer service in a records environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office Software
- Excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,300/month - $3,425/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,276/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 31, 2022 through September 14, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).