The Customer Services Specialist works independently to provide full range of front desk, and payroll support to the Facilities Development and Operations Department including the receiving and posting of time off, overtime, asbestos and shift pay differential, docks, and key distribution. The Specialist maintains accurate data records for all service desk communication forms and telephone lines during regular operating hours, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The position needs to have knowledge of the business practices of the department as it relates to work orders for repair and services, project management for tenant improvements and capital renewal, and basic construction knowledge are essential for this position’s support role. The duties of this position require exceptional people skills including diplomacy and tact as they will be responding to customer requests, complaints, and time sensitive needs. Additionally, this position requires exceptional organizational skills as all communications and activities must be quickly and accurately recorded despite constant interruptions from requests made by the campus community and interdepartmentally.
- Responsible for the operating of central telephone lines, receiving all incoming calls including any related to maintenance and repair needs for the SJSU Campus
- Greets and identifies visitors and informs appropriate level of management or department
- Determine the scope and degree of urgency for emergency service/work requests and radio dispatch Do-It-Now (DIN) Technicians on type of problem that is presented.
- Assist and train customers on using the web-based iService request for non-emergency maintenance and repair calls.
- Receive, record, and dispatch general and emergency information quickly, clearly, and accurately using computerized systems and databases for input and retrieval of data.
- Assist in scheduling requests for building shut downs and send customer notifications quickly to all necessary parties
- Responsible for key distribution and collection of returned keys.
- Prepare, review, correct any missing/inaccurate information and submit key requests to Lockshop on a daily basis for processing.
- Process all customer requests, including but not limited to service requests, work orders, projects, preventive maintenance and charge-backs, and make required entries on the CMMS database.
- Maintain and update status of work orders on the CMMS database.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of Facilities Maintenance Dispatch Center
- Ability to use a two-way radio communication device
- Fluency in using standard software applications: word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, and Google Drive
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Computer Maintenance Management Systems software or comparable facilities management information system and/or work tracking system software
- Ability to learn the operations of the Facilities Development and Operations Department as they relate to the campus physical plant and the campus academic activities
- Ability to independently initiate and draft a clear and concise final form memorandum and correspondence requiring selection of materials and references from a variety of sources
- General working knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated competence in understanding, interpreting and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas and instructions
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Two years of experience in customer service in a front office, maintenance or construction dispatching, or switchboard operation.
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,064/month - $3,670/month
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 18, 2021 through June 2, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).