The Executive Director (ED) of the Career Center leads the central career services department to ensure that every Spartan emerges with career self-knowledge, employability skills, professional connections, and career opportunities. The Executive Director aligns the department’s efforts with SJSU’s strategic plan, Transformation 2030, and the campus’ strategic enrollment management plans.
Operating within a team of leaders reporting to the Associate Vice President of Health, Wellness, and Student Services in the Division of Student Affairs, this role partners to ensure that students are equipped to flourish academically, professionally, and personally. Core responsibilities include:
• Assessment and innovation to respond to career trends and client needs
• Leadership and management of operations supported by a $2.5M budget
• Career education—co-curricular and integrated—of all SJSU’s 35,000 undergraduate and graduate students
• External relations to generate engagement with SJSU’s 9,200 local and 32,000 global employer connections
• Organization and people development for the staff of 17 experienced career services professionals
To achieve these goals and perform these responsibilities, the Executive Director continually builds client knowledge to ensure that the center’s services and programs generate inclusion, cultural relevance, and high value to its primary clients: students, alumni, and employers.
- Create annual operational plan, refining department goals, KPIs, and activities that align with campus strategy and create the basis of individual performance plans.
- Collaborate with resource and operations lead to produce and adhere to a three-year budget plan
- Collaborate with AVP and VP of Student Affair to secure internal and external funding
- Support the associate director to develop the co-curricular and integrative career education curriculum and delivery plan
- Maintain learning goals and assessment strategy based on current career- and personal-development theories
- Lead strategy for integrative and co-curricular career education in collaboration with senior campus leadership
- Build constructive relationships with senior campus leadership in the effort to ensure that students in all academic programs can achieve career success
- Serve as career services thought leader, sharing insights and best practices with senior campus leadership and career services leaders outside SJSU
- Collaborate with assistant director of employer engagement to generate quality internships, career opportunities, and employer partners
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Skilled in using qualitative and quantitative research methods to generate insights on client needs, team performance, and student career success
- Ability to apply current career development theories and best practices to career education services
- Knowledge of retention and graduation strategies connected to career development
- Skilled in developing and implementing complex operational plans
- Skilled in managing multiple budget funding types, including general funds, student fees, revenue, and grants with a complex fiscal environment
- Skilled in developing and negotiating grants and MOUs
- Ability to establish rapport and credibility with senior leadership to articulate the value of career services and understand emergent needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to select and manage impactful vendor relationships
- Skilled in managing and developing staff performance within a union environment
- Skilled in large-scale project management
- Knowledge of employment law, including EEOC and FLSA
- A master’s degree in counseling, psychology, human resources, talent development, management or related human-development field
- Five years of experience serving as department head in a complex higher-education or related function with external relations responsibilities
- A doctoral degree in counseling, psychology, human resources, talent development, management or related human-development field
- Five years of experience serving as department head of a complex, central career-services function on a large, diverse, public university campus offering master’s and doctoral degrees
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 26, 2021 through December 12, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).