Under general supervision, reporting and receiving work direction from the Department Chair, Computer Engineering performing administrative duties for the College of Engineering but works independently to achieve specified outcomes. The position provides the primary staffing support for the Chair with the search and hiring for all student and temp faculty positions. These duties include monitoring faculty workloads, adjusting contractual obligations, checking hiring status for potential discrepancies based on department and university policies and procedures, reviewing course syllabi to ensure compliance. Other areas of duties include appointing, processing, tracking visiting scholars and volunteers and supervision to department student assistants. Monitors all payroll-related salary expenses.
- Process and complete all aspects of department level hiring for temporary faculty and all student positions.
- Maintain student support tracking data spreadsheets for various accounts and funding sources to ensure compliance with student support budget.
- Prepare and collect new and existing temporary faculty hiring forms, review for accuracy to align with lecturer rank, salary, and/or entitlement level information.
- Maintain extensive virtual filing system for all student and faculty hiring information.
- Review and analyze course syllabi to ensure compliance to university and department policies, course level information, and accessibility features.
- Gather, archive, and maintain curriculum support materials and collect faculty office hour information.
- Provide support for preparing, gathering, analyzing, and reporting of data for ABET.
- Create and maintain student employment postings, review incoming applications/resumes, interview, hire, and train new student assistants.
- Provide direct supervision to department student assistants. Coordinate and implement monthly student assistant schedules and facilitate appropriate workflow.
- Provide support for both volunteers and visiting scholars with the appointment process via DocuSign by reviewing request forms and providing supporting documentation for submission.
- Support and implement department, college, and university academic policies, procedures, and deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to make presentations; mastery of social media; experience in web editing and web applications; ability to find and to track resources and references.
- Working experience of Google Apps and Microsoft Office software.
- Good organizational and coordination skills.
- Detail-oriented, multi-tasker with the ability to perform accurately.
- Ability to track, analyze and summarize data using spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of data analysis tools and electronic forms.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive situations.
- Ability to coordinate and guide work of student assistants.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training.
- Administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible administrative work experience
- Experience working in a higher education environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Microsoft Office, Google suite, calendaring, Zoom, and DocuSign
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Non-Exempt
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,000/month - $5,200/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,518/month - $6,791/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 3, 2023 through November 20, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).