Under general supervision, the Administrative Support Coordinator independently provides various administrative and analytical support services to the Department Chair, faculty and students of the History Department. This position reports to the Director of Resources and Operations and receives work direction from the Administrative Analyst. This position has sole responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the department office. The Department Coordinator is responsible for the appointment of temporary faculty; administrative tasks associated with faculty recruitment and retention, tenure and promotion; manages and tracks the department budget; inputs the class schedule; tracks enrollment; trains and supervises student assistants; plans department events; handles confidential information for faculty and students; and distributes information to students, faculty and the general public. This position serves as a liaison to other campus entities: Faculty Affairs; Human Resources; Registrar's Office; Facilities, Development and Operations; Financial Aid and San Jose State Research and Tower Foundations.
- Responsible for temporary faculty appointments
- Recommend temporary faculty salaries to the chair
- Responsible for administrative tasks associated with temporary faculty evaluations
- Responsible for administrative tasks associated with faculty retention, tenure and promotion
- Responsible for faculty office assignments
- Responsible for fiscal oversight of department budgets for (CSUOF, CERF, SSETF, Research Foundation and Tower Foundation)
- Responsible for department financial decisions for purchases and payments
- Gather, analyze and report student and financial data as needed by the department chair
- Responsible for tracking and reporting current enrollments
- Responsible for entering class schedule in PeopleSoft and assuring accuracy
- Independently determines classroom assignments
- Responsible for class scheduling changes (instructor, room, room capacity etc.)
- Responsible for tracking and implementing curriculum changes
- Responsible for updating the class catalog
- Independently perform the day-to-day tasks for the operation of the department office
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports with a working knowledge of Excel, Word and email
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of SJSU financial processes-procurement, accounts payable, accounting services, budgeting
- Ability to analyze and independently decide appropriate funds/accounts to use for various financial purchases/payments
- Ability to extract and analyze data and reports from all SJSU financial systems, FTS, CFS, CFS DataWarehouse
- Through knowledge of the curriculum change procedure and catalog due dates
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, and independently organize and prioritize work
- Ability to learn and interpret data, policies and procedures and apply that knowledge to departmental decision-making
- Ability to use appropriate software in development of event programs, flyers, announcements & department publications (Publisher, Word, email, Adobe)
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Three years of related office work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Four years of office experience
- Experience with common office applications such as Microsoft, Google, DocuSign
- Experience with SJSU applications such as Peoplesoft, Common Finance System (CFS), Financial Transaction Services, Common Human Resource Systems (CHRS)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,441/month - $4,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,681/month - $6,034/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 9, 2023 through March 26, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).