Under general supervision, the Administrative Analyst independently manages all budget, operational, clerical and administrative duties for the office of the Industrial & Systems Engineering Department. The Department Analyst provides support to the Department Chair, students, faculty and other staff. This position is responsible for the analysis of operations, the maintenance of fiscal management, planning, and administration of operational systems, makes recommendations to the Chair and faculty regarding strategic choices and appropriate timing for the department's investment of resources. The analyst oversees the day to day operations of the department and provides work lead and direction to others as needed.
- Analyzes fiscal needs, sets budgets and allocations, and administers accounts for department programs and labs in Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Projects annual department budget based on analysis of past and projected expenditures.
- Analyzes department fiscal performance and status of department activities and makes regular reports to chair and faculty as required
- Analyzes department needs and makes necessary annual purchasing plans for supplies, equipment, professional development, etc.
- Develops and maintains detailed budget records and spreadsheets on all departmental accounts, and reconciles to CFS.
- Reconciles department allocations and budgets with college Dean's office.
- Compiles and analyses department expenditure data and responds to budget inquiries and related problems in order to provide assistance in resolving budget issues.
- Prepares transfer of funds as needed.
- Maintains the department’s working files for faculty, temp faculty, and student assistants.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and approves payroll hours of clerical student assistants.
- Reviews and verifies schedules for accuracy. Submits updates and corrections as needed.
- Coordinates academic scheduling. Manages class scheduling in PeopleSoft.
- Helps Collect and maintains Program Assessment (ABET, WASC) documents and records.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Mastery of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling, with ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and web maintenance.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to perform the Essential Functions in Section C
- Ability to understand and gain thorough knowledge of SJSU, college, and department methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to provide lead direction, training, and guidance to student assistants.
- Ability to perform business math, analyze salary date, calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make accurate projections
- Thorough knowledge of software applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet and database.
- Ability to handle effectively a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, handle multiple work unit priorities and projects, and perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced educational community service or customer service environment.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training.
- Administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices,or programs.
- A master's degree and/or equivalent training.
- At least 5 years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Non-Exempt
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,130/month - $5,290/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,518/month - $6,791/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 12, 2022 through December 27, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).