Reporting to the Director of Resources and Operations and receiving work lead direction from the Department Chair in the Department of Child & Adolescent Development, this position is responsible for the day-to-day operations and activities for the department and preschool/toddler lab. The Administrative Support Coordinator works under general supervision to achieve specified outcomes. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing highly complex administrative support to the Department Chair, Director of the Child Development Preschool Lab, department faculty, students, and staff.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance for all matters involving the Preschool Labs.
- Facilitate student assistant and substitute teacher recruitment, hiring, and time reporting processes.
- Support accounting processes for the ChAD Preschool Labs' revenue and expenditures, prepare/submit deposits, track payments from parents, and offer general support to the Director of the ChAD Preschool Labs.
- Work with the Director of the ChAD Preschool Labs to facilitate year-long budgeting workflow for ChAD Preschool Labs.
- Act as frontline point of contact, answer phones, respond to department inbox emails, greet faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Serve as a point of contact for student inquiries (forms, policies/department procedures).
- Maintain office records for faculty and students (such as updating digital records as needed).
- Offer assistance and support to ChAD faculty for Professional Development funding, including but not limited to purchasing, reimbursements, budgeting/planning, and student assistant hires.
- Prepare and process student paperwork. Analyze transcripts, verify documents provided by students, create and prepare advising documentation for advisors.
- Update department student records (manage advising files, DQ documents, graduation worksheets, major/minor forms).
- Support the Department Chair and Analyst with recruitment/search processes, including advertising, file management, campus visits, and recruitment reports, in compliance with university policies.
- Update and maintain the department website as needed for accuracy, in consultation with the Department Chair and Analyst.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform standard business math, calculate ratios, track financial data, and make simple projections
- Skilled in making purchases, processing travel reimbursements, and any other financial transactions
- Skilled or ability working with CMS Data Warehouse, FTS systems and other campus systems
- Ability to learn the hiring of faculty and/or student assistants
- Knowledge of processing payments for department employees and preschool
- Knowledge of and ability to learn professional general business office procedures and practices
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to submit projects and departmental tasks in a timely manner
- Working knowledge of computer applications such as MS Word, Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint, File Maker Pro and Internet tools. Working knowledge of campus CMS systems, OnBase, Docusign, OU Campus, etc. (Training available)
- Ability to learn, interpret independently, and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures
- Strong oral communication skills. Must possess excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Three years of related office work experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or similar experience
- Administrative experience working in an office with complex and diverse tasks
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent customer service
- Experience with following campus/department policies and procedures specifically dealing with Procurement Services, FD&O, Admissions and Records, Tower/Research Foundation and processing of invoices/reimbursements/requisitions/ and travel requests
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, PeopleSoft, CMS/FTS,CFS, G Suite (e.g., Gmail, Google Drive), Adobe Acrobat, DocuSign
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,269/month - $4,494/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,505/month - $5,497/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 23, 2022 through December 7, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).