The Accounts Payable Specialist reports to the Senior Endowment Accountant and ensures proper compliance with Tower Foundation and university policies and procedures. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate processing of payments, understands and complies with policies, practices, and procedures, check run process, including preparing positive file for the bank, ACH file for electronic payments, and wires for payments in accordance with department rotational cycle. Assist with month-end reconciliation process to ensure proper accrual and accurate payable balance. Assist with system setup, upgrades, modification, and implementation of any related software or system integration. Assists with audits and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Comprehensive and thorough review, audit and processing of accounts payable invoices and check requests in accordance with the established guidelines of the Tower Foundation, SJSU and CSU policies.
- Ensure timely processing of all university payments, including but not limited to: reviews invoices, travel claims and check requests for proper account codes, authorized signer, account balances, appropriate receipts and documentation.
- Assist Senior Endowment Accountant in improving forms, processes, and procedures to streamline the payment
- Maintain good vendor relations, correspond, or communicate with vendors when necessary to correct or modify invoices received
- Effectively explains to customers the origin of the reasoning behind key policies, practices and procedures
- Reviews purchase order requests for proper account codes, authorized signer, account balances, and appropriate documentation.
- Prepares and submits purchase orders
- Appropriately inform management of any concerns and unresolved issues
- Responsible for the check run process, including preparing positive file for the bank and ACH file for electronic payments
- Reviews scholarship requests and confirms enrollment and other relevant details with the Financial Aid Office.
- Maintains the vendor records
- Obtains W-9 form as necessary
- Responds to questions and makes calls regarding billing problems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates and maintains excellent customer services
- Exercises tact and diplomacy in creating and maintaining good working relationships
- Knowledge and comprehension of general accounts payable and purchasing practice
- Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and work effectively under pressure with a high accuracy rate
- Ability to multi-task and balance changing priorities
- Ability to understand and utilize complex procurement information systems
- Excellent communication, both written and oral, and proven ability to exercise good working relations with a wide variety of people
- Ability to readily problem solve by listening and knowing what questions need answering before making a final informed determination
- Proficiency in Internet usage and in Excel
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline. Experience may be substituted for education
- Minimum of three years of high-volume full cycle Accounts Payable experience
- Experience in a centralized accounts payable function in a large organization
- Excellent customer service and experience working with sensitive issues and challenging customers
- Experience in the higher education industry
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Financial Edge
Classification: Accounting Technician II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,873/month - $4,044/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,512/month - $5,830/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 17, 2022 through December 4, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).