Reporting to the Director of Resources and Operations, and receiving work direction from the Administrative Analyst, under general supervision, the Department Coordinator independently provides various administrative and support services to the Department Chair, Administrative Analyst, faculty, and students of the Sociology and Interdisciplinary Studies Department. This position has responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the department offices. The Department Coordinator is responsible for reconciling the department Research Foundation accounts, operating expenses in the Operating Fund, and PACE funds as well as other accounts/funds for the department. This position is also responsible for training student assistants; processing ISA and Student Assistant appointments; assisting with department events; handling faculty and student confidential information; distributing information to students, faculty and the general public; submitting and tracking facility and key requests; processing and reviewing travel and other reimbursement requests.
- Reconcile expenditures, budget accounts, and reports
- Reconcile operating fund and foundation Pro-cards and Go-cards monthly
- Prepare Operating Fund and Foundation travel authorizations and expense reimbursements for faculty and students
- Process and review purchase requisitions, travel authorizations and reimbursements, other reimbursements, and direct payments as needed
- Responsible for processing ISA and Student Assistant appointments
- Assure student time is submitted by UP deadlines so that students are paid in a timely manner
- Assist in issuing permission codes as needed for designated Communication Studies courses
- Assist Chair, and department Analyst with faculty recruitment, temporary faculty evaluations and RTP as needed
- Independently perform the day-to-day tasks for the operation of the department offices
- Assist with department event planning and coordination
- Respond to a wide range of in-person, telephone, and email inquiries from students, faculty, staff and the public
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of software applications: DocuSign, word processing, spreadsheets, G Suite (e.g., Gmail, Google drive), database management, Adobe Acrobat, and graphics design software (e.g., Illustrator, InDesign, or Photoshop)
- Knowledge of fund accounting practices and the ability to maintain multiple detailed spreadsheets
- Thorough knowledge of SJSU financial processes – procurements, accounts payable, and accounting services
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, and independently prioritize, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Thorough knowledge of the curriculum change procedure and catalog due dates
- Ability to train students to assure their understanding of work assignments
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Three years of related office work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Administrative experience working in an office with complex and diverse tasks similar to the Department of Department of Sociology and Interdisciplinary Sciences in the College of Social Sciences
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Experience with SJSU policies and procedures specifically dealing with Procurement Services, FD&O, Admissions and Records, Tower/Research Foundation and processing of invoices/reimbursements/requisitions/ and travel requests
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, PeopleSoft, CMS/FTS,CFS, G Suite (e.g., Gmail, Google Drive), graphics design software, Adobe Acrobat, DocuSign
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,441/month - $4,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,681/month - $6,034/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 16, 2022 through October 2, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).