The Enrollment Services Department at San Jose State University supports the academic mission of the University and collaboratively works with the campus and external community to enhance student success. The Admissions Communication Counselor performs various functions under the supervision of the Associate Director of Enrollment Services Communication, but works collaboratively with other units in Enrollment Management to collect, synthesize, and deliver a variety of interdependent communication messages in support of recruiting, admitting, enrolling and retaining students to the university. The Admissions Counselor performs tasks related to the functional and technical communication cycle between from point of pre-application through enrollment. This position provides accurate and timely information via the phone, email, messaging, social media and other technology such as chat sessions and virtual advising. Working under minimal supervision, the position is responsible for supporting a communication system that attracts, recruits, and enrolls academically qualified, culturally diverse, and socially conscious populations of undergraduate and graduate students. As representative of San Jose State University, this position maintains a high level of knowledge of requirements, processes, and regulations to facilitate students’ decisions to apply and attend SJSU. The Admissions Communication Counselor will develop and maintain accurate and transparent documentation of the communication process and work flow in order to maintain levels of productivity, quality of counseling.
- Ensures the effective communication process (from recruitment to enrollment) to students and their families, and supports the yield process and activities for admitted students
- Maintains knowledge of recruitment and admission programs and services
- Keeps current and interprets California State University (CSU) policies and procedures and office practices, by participating in training, and working meetings on a regular basis
- Identifies, maps, and communicates the pre-admission to enrolled student process, addressing questions from students and parents regarding admission and enrollment at San Jose State University
- Communicates effectively with students regarding their on-line checklist items and their individual status in various SJSU processes. Communication takes place across a variety of media including, but not limited to, phone, email, chat and social media
- Interacts with students regarding their MySJSU student account and answers questions and troubleshoots problems through resolution
- Maintains knowledge of admission policy and procedure
- Develops and maintains updated knowledge base of application and admission policies and procedures
- Interprets federal, state, and Chancellor’s Office admission eligibility criteria and follows established office practices
- Explains the CalStateApply application process from point of application to MySJSU account activation to point of attending the first term of classes
- Reliably and accurately communicates this process using a variety of media to students, parents, and campus community members
- Assists students by email and phone (and other forms of media) by answering questions during office hours and additional special hours
- Responsible for explaining to students and parents the various documents that may be requested for the application process, including transcripts, test scores and documents related to domestic and international admission processes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to interact with a variety of internal partners from Academic and Student Affairs to the Office of the President, communicating effectively and professionally
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Must have knowledge of methods, procedures, practices and activities of the program area
- Ability to interpret and apply program rules and regulations
- Ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with students, parents, employees and external agencies
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, and resolve student problems and concerns in the most efficient manner possible
- Ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements
- Ability to reason logically; ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and communication tools
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on complex student-related matters; determine appropriate courses of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals in personal interactions
- Ability to identify and resolve student concerns with Enrollment processes and procedures
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field
- Two (2) years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master’s degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two (2+) years working in a student services position
- Experience providing educational advising and counseling services to students
- Experience working in an educational environment in either Admissions or Records
- Experience analyzing and interpreting documents and disseminating information to others
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with PeopleSoft
Classification: Student Service Professional II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,304/month - $4,395/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,304/month - $6,120/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 19, 2022 through October 3, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).