Reporting to the Director of School of Nursing, the Office Administrative Assistant works independently to assist in the day to day management of the Nursing department. The incumbent in this position works closely with the Faculty, Staff, and Students to ensure projects, procedures and policies within the department are updated and completed. The incumbent is responsible for creating, modifying and distributing department documents and management of department forms.
- Responsible for maintaining office supplies
- Manage department mail and website inquires, this includes retrieving and forwarding to appropriate department contact and typing routine correspondence
- Responsible for the distribution of student and faculty announcements
- Creates and updates faculty committee and student lists
- Assist with department meetings, such as taking minutes at Full Faculty, Personnel, and Executive committee meeting
- Preparation of student petition materials for Executive Committee meetings. This includes researching and gathering appropriate documentation and data when required
- Assists with special events, receptions, and department activities, this includes facilitating catering requests, scheduling room reservations, and sending guest parking passes
- Provides ongoing support to faculty members
- Responds to student and faculty questions pertaining to department information, resources and general academic policies and procedures including forms and petitions
- Maintains and facilities documentation for Public Health Nursing / Certified Nursing Assistant certifications materials, and other essential department documents as necessary
- Develops fit testing scheduling
- Manages and facilities transcripts submissions for NCLEX examination requirements
- Manages and audits course materials in the google drive (course syllabi)
- Provides direction with the application process for the RN to BSN and BSN program (NursingCas)
- Cross train for other administrative functions in the nursing office in the absence / leaves of other staff
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills /customer service and public relations
- Thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Strong knowledge of form and document development (PowerPoint, Google Docs, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Excel, and DocuSign
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving
- Ability to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough and, at times, creative solutions
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to perform standard arithmetic functions of a transactional nature, including tracking and comparing data
- Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined
- Two years of related office work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 4 years of office experience and/or management experience
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,607/month - $3,824/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,276/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 2, 2022 through August 16, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).