*All applicants must apply via the TurnkeyZRG Search Firm candidate portal. *
Under the general direction of the Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Wellness and Leadership Development and the Athletic Director, the Assistant Athletics Director for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) drives meaningful relationships throughout the campus community to integrate the values of diversity, equity and inclusion into the Department of Athletics through a curriculum of programming and initiatives that will help create a sense of belonging for student-athletes and support them holistically. Furthermore, the incumbent will lead high-impact, strategic efforts and engage in the planning and implementation of these efforts that actively drive inclusive excellence. The incumbent builds meaningful relationships with campus constituents and students by creating, implementing, and assessing the impact of DEI programming, workshops, and initiatives for the purpose of increasing engagement and attendance within athletics events as well as overall sense of school pride. The incumbent works closely with the Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Development and Coordinator of Beyond Sparta as well as executive staff, department heads, coaches, and student-athletes. Responsibilities include the day-to-day management of the above listed areas for the Division.
- In alignment with University initiatives, creates a DEI strategic plan to guide integration of DEI initiatives through the Department of Athletics
- Works closely with campus constituents to promote and collaborate on social justice initiatives
- Serve on campus committees regarding diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in the campus community as well as local community to build cohesion with campus and local initiatives
- Build meaningful relationships within the campus community to drive greater student engagement and attendance at San Jose State athletic competitions
- Help align strategies with other members of the Department of Athletics and their respective campus contacts to build meaningful relationships throughout the campus community
- Develops, plans, and implements DEI programming for all SJSU student-athletes (approx. 450+)
- Works closely with student-athlete leadership (SAAC) regarding social justice initiatives and helps lead to meaningful action
- Serve as the Department liaison with the Associated Students, Inc. and Beyond Sparta Program (SAAC) to build meaningful relationships between San José State students and Athletics
- Facilitates DEI workshops for Athletics department staff and student-athletes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to create, develop, and implement DEI programming
- Ability to facilitate difficult, critical conversations around different subjects and topics in the DEI space
- Ability to understand the impact of race and other aspects of identity such as gender, disability, sexual orientation and age in the workplace
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and responsive skills to establish and maintain professional and cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, and students
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations
- Ability to effectively interpret, organize and present information in written format and skills to obtain decisions required to move forward toward implementation
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments and individuals within the University
- Ability to recognize and accommodate changing priorities, meet short and long term deadlines/goals, complete routine tasks despite intermittent interruptions, managing multiple tasks, and working proactively to avoid crisis and backlog
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 years’ experience working with campus communities, working knowledge of University processes, and DEI Administration
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Master’s degree
- 5+ years’ experience working with campus communities; working knowledge of University processes, and DEI Athletics Administration
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Apply using TurnkeyZRG's candidate portal here.
Nominations, inquiries and questions can be directed to Katy Young Staudt, Vice President, TurnkeyZRG at email@example.com
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).