Video Production and Photography is a unit within University Marketing and Communications. It includes multimedia production, creative/promotional video, photography services, multimedia delivery services, comprehensive support for multimedia-based distance education and creative/promotional video production, and documentation of a variety of campus events.
The Multimedia Production Specialist/Video Producer will provide a wide range of support in both field and studio photography, video production, and post-production. The incumbent will help develop, shoot and edit video projects to create meaningful, creative visual content with a high degree of professionalism. The incumbent collaborates on the creative video process from concept development to producing, from the first edit through post-production and delivery as well as contributing towards building the university brand identity. He or she must thrive in cross-functional teams and exhibit excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills with an emphasis on quality, accuracy and timelines. The candidate will exemplify the SJSU mission, vision and values and act in accordance with SJSU policies and procedures.
Under the general supervision of Senior Director of Creative Strategy and guidance from the Senior Multimedia producer, the Multimedia Production Specialist/Video Producer works in a highly collaborative environment, and independently achieves specified outcomes, provides all phases of unit multimedia productions services. The Multimedia Production Specialist/Video Producer provides client consultation, multimedia project planning, file management, and adapts with continually evolving/improving styles and standards.
- Plan effective multimedia projects by preparing instructional training, public information and creative/promotional materials
- Work with “client” (e.g. division, college, department, office, program/initiative) to help develop, shoot and edit video projects to create promotional/creative content and instruction-based content with a high degree of professionalism
- Assess client needs and multimedia selection including but not limited to concept development to producing, from first edit through post-production and delivery as well as prepares scripts, storyboards, and program designs including the coordination of resource scheduling
- Create and produce original and truly engaging branded content, promotional campaigns across all media
- Coordinate creation of multimedia program materials and evolves with styles and brand standards to produce exceptional video content
- Create and produce academic-focused / instructional media solutions
- Assemble production materials into professionally/creatively finished products
- Edit video recordings, sound tracks, still images, multimedia presentations, and web pages to produce highest quality possible
- Create post production elements such as animations, graphics, special effects and CSU mandated closed captions
- Conduct evaluations of each project in terms of audience reaction, client satisfaction, and achievement of instructional and/or communication purpose—documented in Asana team project management software
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced skills in professional multimedia design, integration, staging, and operation, preferably in a higher education setting
- Advanced knowledge of camera set up, audio signal measurement, non-linear editing systems, video switchers, routing equipment, studio and remote lighting, computer graphics, and multimedia software
- Ability to compile, organize and present information clearly and concisely
- Ability to work and participate in cross-functional, multi-dimensional teams and projects
- Skills in managing multiple priorities independently and/or in a team environment to achieve goals
- Advanced research, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Strong writing skills including the ability to create effective scripts, narrations, and general correspondence concerning projects
- Ability to create effective multimedia end products within a team, and coordinate production work
- Advanced knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, digital asset management
- Thorough knowledge of multimedia production techniques and equipment
- Advanced knowledge of multimedia technology including trends, formats, and software
- Knowledge of multimedia production process including audience assessment, instructional and program design, and budgeting
- Advanced skills in directing live productions with incorporate complex audio mixing, graphics and multiple cameras
- Ability to process raw footage using the appropriate software for post-production preparation
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Five years plus of progressively responsible experience producing media, filming/editing, in a broadcast, corporate or educational environment, including demonstrated experience in scriptwriting and video production
- Experience filming/editing in a professional and creative post-production Environment
- Experience in filming/editing video, live audio production, studio and remote production, multimedia creation and/or web design, project tracking and budgeting
- Relevant video production experience-for example, broadcast television station, cable network, multicast network or streaming, in-studio shoots or field production shoots
- Demonstrated experience live audio production, studio and remote production, multimedia creation and/or web design, project tracking and budgeting
Classification: Media Production Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,000/month - $6,200/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 2, 2022 through August 15, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).