The Director of Network Services operates under the general direction of the Associate Vice President, IT Infrastructure and Operations, and has primary responsibility for the development, operations, maintenance, and protection of campus network resources to meet the mission and vision of the University. This position assists in the strategic and tactical planning of the University information technology infrastructure.
- Provides leadership for the technology direction and strategy for the Network Services department to meet the mission, vision, and needs of IT service for the Network Services department and the University
- Provides leadership, strategy, and managerial oversight for the IT Network Services Department including financial, operational and managerial responsibility for campus network resources including wired, wireless, and connectivity to external communications resources, including public cloud networking
- Provides leadership and accountability for developing, implementing, and monitoring a strategic, comprehensive security strategy for the campus and public cloud network infrastructure, including switches, wireless network, firewalls, video cameras, and phones
- Leads the development of appropriate capacity planning, operations monitoring, failover systems, business continuity, and disaster recovery plans
- Provides process and procedure design and project management for Network Services functions including managing scope, schedule, budget control, coordination of campus and vendor resources, project communication, and risk management
- Works in partnership with campus departments and vendors/contractors on network expansion and maintenance in alignment with the University vision and mission
- Serve as the campus representative to key California State University (CSU) policy and advisory committees and other industry groups and committees, as needed
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with campus strategic business partners to provide information technology solutions for the University
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have a collaborative approach to leadership and management
- Ability to facilitate productive meetings and work successfully in a team-oriented environment
- Perform teambuilding and foster an engaging work environment based on trust, respect and competence
- Ability to envision and implement applications of information technology to support network and telecommunication operations
- Knowledge of the acquisition, installation, maintenance, and management of networking, telecommunications, and security equipment
- Knowledge of high-performance networking environments
- Reporting capabilities to enable communication of complex network status and projects
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide range of vendors, service providers, and regulatory agencies
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field
- A minimum of eight years of progressive experience in networking, firewalls, unified communications, video surveillance, and IT infrastructure
- Five years of progressive relevant management experience
- Master’s Degree
- Experience in a higher education environment
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 20, 2022 through June 5, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).