The University Writer and Copy Editor – Science, Engineering and Research is responsible for providing writing and editorial support and assistance to the Office of Strategic Communications and Marketing. Under direction from the Assistant Director of Editorial Content and News, the University Writer and Copy Editor will support the university’s short- and long-term objectives, strategic initiatives and events through integrated communications, with an emphasis on research, science and engineering. As a member of the Strategic Communications and Marketing team, the University Writer and Copy Editor is responsible for developing, writing and editing content that supports the university’s overall strategic objectives, with an emphasis on including copy for SJSU news website, including feature articles and profiles, and Washington Square (print and digital). The incumbent creates print, web and multimedia content for brand material, as well as a range of digital content for the web and social media.
- Develop story ideas, research and write for print, web and multimedia projects, communications and publications, including SJSU news, the university website, and Washington Square (print and digital). Emphasis will be on content about research, engineering, and science. Work with designers to develop photos and art to accompany copy. Coordinate the creation of content and communication materials at the project level. Produce social media copy for relevant posts.
- Provide editorial support to all communications team projects as required. Edit and proofread copy for print, web and multimedia communications.
- Research and write copy for special projects, events and initiatives, as assigned. Projects may include those for the president or other administrators.
- Assist with writing and editing executive communications that support SJSU’s strategic brand and fundraising goals.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert skill at writing professional-toned, engaging and persuasive content for print, web and social media
- Experience writing about research, science and engineering
- Thorough research and fact verification skills
- Thorough skills to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public
- Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills
- Expert ability to write and edit for a magazine or similar publication
- Ability to work in university and/or fundraising communications
- Demonstrated expertise in producing professional publications, content editing and proofreading—including expert-level grammar skills
- Familiarity with digital content management platforms and photo editing. Visual design sensibility and experience
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications media relations and/or marketing best practices used to promote and position a university or similar institution
- Demonstrated ability to assist with the application of marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns
- Experience and knowledge communicating in support of major fundraising efforts
- Experience with university campaigns strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to discover and compose compelling stories that not only convey but also humanize institutional messages and priorities through powerful narrative
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training
- Six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Master’s degree in English, Communications or Journalism
- Six or more years of experience writing about research, science and/or engineering for a higher education institution or publication
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,000/month - $7,500/month
CSU Hiring Range: $5,908/month - $11,481/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 9, 2022 through May 23, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).