*This is a one year temporary appointment with benefits.*
This position is based in University Marketing and Communications and will serve as the communications lead for Facilities Development and Operations (FD&O). The Marketing and Communications Specialist will focus on student housing insecurity by elevating the visibility of the short- and intermediate-term support provided by SJSU Cares to students (via Student Affairs), advancing longer-term campus master planning including the development of facilities that renovate and expand housing for graduate and undergraduate students, staff, and faculty, and providing general communications support for FD&O for positive stakeholder engagement.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will develop plans, messaging and presentations, organize Town Halls, engage in campus and community outreach and collaborate with outside agencies as needed. This position will work closely with the department of Community and Government Relations, on-campus and off-campus constituencies, and create certain resources for success by working with colleagues across University Marketing and Communications.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will report to the Director of Digital Marketing and Communications, with a dotted line to the Senior Associate Vice President for Facilities, Development and Operations (FD&O).
- Serve as the primary copywriter and editor across FD&O’s print and digital platforms.
- Manage all digital marketing channels (e.g. website, blogs, emails and social media) to ensure brand consistency.
- Develop e-newsletters, drip campaigns, and landing pages leveraging marketing automation software platforms (e.g. Marketo).
- Create digital advertising marketing plans and strategies to increase brand awareness, engage prospective and current students, supporters, businesses/companies, foundations/organizations, and other key FD&O initiatives.
- Lead the FD&O’s social media strategy in collaboration with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Manager and share best practices/examples with SJSU Campus Communicators Network.
- Lead in the development, ideation and scheduling of FD&O’s social media content in coordination with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Manager; and manage a rich content calendar for implementation.
- Continually assess and remediate websites for accuracy; oversee regular review of digital content with subject matter experts to ensure content remains accurate and current and ensure online content meets legal and compliance requirements.
- Employ user testing and analytical techniques (based on data, including web traffic, user interactions, search terms and audience demographics), to guide content decisions and improve the usability of FD&O’s web presence and digital communication channels.
- Create, implement, and measure the success of comprehensive marketing, communications, and outreach activities for FD&O’s programs and initiatives. Oversee plan implementation, monitor results, and adjust tactics as necessary to achieve goals.
- Create, develop, distribute and maintain the FD&O’s print and digital assets (e.g., brochures, reports, website, social media, and website) via multiple channels.
- Maintain and improve online content across various communication channels, considering SEO and Google Analytics.
- Partner with SCM to build out and support the implementation of SJSU brand identity and strategy in order to ultimately advance FD&O’s goals, priorities, programs and initiatives.
- Utilize and implement automated marketing and communications processes and technology (e.g. Marketo, OU Campus) to achieve operational efficiencies for a variety of stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of marketing functions, including marketing strategy/planning, direct marketing, event marketing, campaign marketing, collateral and video production, online and social media marketing, and traditional marketing channels and techniques
- Expert writing and editorial skills with the ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format
- Expert knowledge of communications and marketing objectives and ability to translate them both orally and in written format for effective communications and marketing campaigns
- Ability to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic communications and marketing plans
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications, media and/or marketing in order to develop and execute print and web communication strategies to promote and position the university
- Demonstrated ability to discover and compose compelling stories that not only convey but also humanize institutional messages and priorities through powerful narrative
- Demonstrated experience creating and enforcing editorial standards and guidelines
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and ability to produce engaging copy quickly and efficiently. Skill in developing and pitching story ideas, conducting research and interviews, and checking facts
- Demonstrated ability to apply content strategy, marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns
- Knowledge of using Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications as well as Omni Update Campus as content management system platform
- Bachelor’s degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Five years of related professional or technical experience
- Master’s degree
- Five years of related professional or technical experience writing compelling content for a variety of online and print publications
- Previous experience working in a higher education setting
- Previous experience in Communications, Marketing or Journalism
- Demonstrated strong art direction, project planning and project management
- Expert written communication skills
- Expert knowledge of multi-page publications with a variety of audiences in higher education
- Demonstrated experience working with marketing principles and practice as they relate to print and digital communications and marketing
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,211/month - $6,200/month
CSU Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 26, 2022 through May 15, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).