Reporting to the Director, Business Development and External Relations, and receiving work lead direction from the Associate Director of International Student Recruitment and Partnerships, the International Recruitment Specialist participates and assists in planning international recruitment activities, workshops, and related events and activities; engages in agent management, and assists with the CRM database. In consultation with the Associate Director, serves as liaison and maintains and develops relationships with various offices on campus and external agencies as well as partners. The International Recruitment Specialist researches, identifies, analyzes, and troubleshoots international application processing issues.
The incumbent serves as a contact for prospective F-1 visa degree-bound and degree-seeking students interested in applying for SJSU. Interprets and explains university’s admission policies and requirements to prospective F-1 visa students to help them better understand the application process. Collaborate with various departments on campus such as the admission office, international gateways, etc. to follow up on application progress and regularly correspond with students to ensure application procedure is completed. Advises newly admitted F-1 visa students on matters relating to university regulations effecting their stay at SJSU as well as completion of all required procedures for enrollment, financial management, housing, and personal safety.
- Travel extensively to off-campus and overseas locations to attend education fairs and exhibitions for the purpose of recruiting prospective international students
- Maintain awareness of cultural norms, travel advisories, and sensitivities in targeted markets to represent SJSU in a professional manner
- Generate reports and corresponding statistics
- Utilize acquired data to analyze and predict global recruitment trends
- Counsel prospective international students on admission criteria and guide them through the application process for non-degree and degree programs
- Collaborate with various campus departments including admissions office and International Gateways to ensure applications are processed timely and efficiently
- Check application status in school system periodically and follow up with timely and appropriate actions
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of regulations pertaining to F-1 visa students
- Familiarity with communication applications such as outlook, Skype, Zoom, Facebook and/or blogs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with courses in adult education and curriculum planning basis
- Equivalent to two years of experience in planning classes or programs in a specialized field or area, preferably in higher, extended, or adult education
- Experience developing resources, budgets, and marketing plans for educational programs and in acting as a liaison with the community is desirable. Teaching experience in higher or extended education may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis
- Three or more years of US based professional work related experience in international recruitment and admission advising at a higher education setting
- Experience working with university bound international students
- Experience working with international student mobility and recruitment trends
- Experience working with F1 regulations
- Experience with admissions/recruitment Customer Relation Management (CRM) database
- Experience in recruiting agent management
- Experience studying or living abroad
- Proficiency in a second language (e.g., Mandarin Chinese or Latin language)
Classification: Extended Education Specialist I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,000/month - $5,408/month
Salary Range: $4,493/month - $6,395/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 28, 2022 through March 15, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).