The Data Visualization Analyst serves as the research and technical expert on data visualization framework, practices, and reporting policies. This role will provide data visualization solutions and support analytics and reporting needs for Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics and the university at-large to ensure our efficacy. The position focuses on building and managing dashboards and analytical reports that drive cross-functional initiatives related to university business operations and evaluation/research studies. This role is responsible for the full cycle development, implementation, and visualization deployment of the university enterprise data to automate reporting and generate data insights. It supports projects such as the Campus Data Warehouse to implement a single source of truth that is consumable and digestible for appropriate stakeholders. This position works closely with university executives, stakeholders, and various business partners of the Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Analytics Unit including the Institutional Research and Information Technology departments to provide data-driven solutions and fulfill their analytics needs. A focus to apply diverse research designs and methodological approaches and use an array of visualization techniques to translate students, faculty, and staff’s experiences that is accessible and informs decision-making is a priority for this role.
- Lead the development of IR dashboards to automate data reporting using census and real-time data (e.g., PeopleSoft). Support the Campus Data Warehouse dashboards or the like to create visual uniformity between IESA, IR, and CDW dashboards as well as ensuring any census reported data across any dashboards are consistent, accurate, and reconciled.
- Oversee all corresponding departments in the IESA unit’s website development and maintenance. Ensure content, dictionary, references, resources, and data points are accurate, consistent, valid, and reliable for consumption. Develop a standard template for IESA. Design, update, and implement web features, enhancements and contents through CMS and HTML scripting or similar.
- Lead the development of Campus Profile Report using innovative visualization techniques.
- Create visualized work products to grow IR’s reporting and business intelligence capabilities.
- Provides technical and programming support related to the construction, implementation, feed, and/or other related activities to update data fields, tables, dashboards, et al as needed related to student, course, faculty, and staff data.
- Supports related programming needs for data analysis, student and course data to the system, assists in the implementation, and provides post-implementation support.
- Support BI reports, dashboards, and data visualization needs as well as make use of these tools to communicate evaluation, research, and various data findings accordingly.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with Tableau and other BI tools. Experience with writing scripts to create reports with a detail-oriented approach to data visualization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database management systems and skilled programming abilities in Structured Query Language (SQL) or other data query languages, capable of writing complex queries to manipulate data.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and demonstrated technical proficiency in online reporting, web development, and content management.
- Project management skills, which include but are not limited to clear and concise communication; organization, time, and task management abilities; planning and scheduling; technical and research knowledge, and; adept in relationship and team building.
- General knowledge of SPSS, SAS, Stata, and/or R to perform basic statistical analyses.
- Ability to effectively analyze client and business needs and adopt an effective course of action.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university. Additional qualifying professional experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis
- Three years of progressively responsible technical research or statistical experience including or supplemented by one year in the interpretation and graphic presentation of data. Graduate study in the social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration or engineering may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Master’s Degree in data visualization, information design, media design, education, social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public administration, business, data analytics, engineering, computer or data science or other related fields
- More than three years of professional and proficient experience in designing and developing high-impact visualization solutions. Expert user in Tableau including in SQL writing scripts to analyze data and perform data queries, creating reports with quantitative modeling, detail-oriented approach to data visualization and validation
- Experience transforming qualitative outcomes into digestible and consumable formats
- Extensive experience in written and visualization communication skills
- Experience in higher education research, project management, enrollment management and/or scheduling concepts and procedures
- Experience running statistical models and predictions (such as linear and binary regressions) on higher education data sets
- Experience working directly in Institutional Research/Institutional Effectiveness, Assessment, and/or Data Analytics/Business Intelligence offices
Classification: Research Technician III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,800/month - $6,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,476/month - $8,097/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 21, 2022 through March 15, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).