Working independently under the limited supervision of the Microbiology Instructional Support Technician Lead, the IST II assists in daily operations of the Micro Service Center, and performs comprehensive support services for both lower and upper-division laboratory classes in microbiology and molecular biology. Duties will include, but are not limited to: general cleaning and upkeep of teaching and common equipment areas in the SJSU Department of Biological Sciences; restocking consumables in teaching labs; general set up, maintenance of, and breakdown of teaching labs; receipt and appropriate handling of shipments for Shipping and Receiving. In addition, upon receipt of laboratory course schedules from instructors each semester, the position develops a calendar of all materials and supplies needed for the semester. The IST II will procure (from SJSU approved vendors), prepare, and aliquot reagents requested by instructors needed to carry out laboratory exercises. Duties also include regular communication with faculty regarding laboratory support needs, and any other support duties that might be identified within the skill set of the IST II.
- Procure (from SJSU approved vendors) laboratory support supplies, materials and services for laboratory courses within the Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Physiology area as assigned
- Coordinate with staff to arrange repairs of broken/malfunctioning equipment as needed
- Working with faculty, assists in developing new laboratory exercises
- In collaboration with other ISTs, responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Service Center and the care, proper operation, and maintenance of the majority of scientific instrumentation that is used by microbiology and molecular biology classes
- Collection, handling, processing, and proper disposal of biologically hazardous waste generated in teaching and research labs.
- Provide ongoing support for projects that require equipment, supplies, or other technical support
- Cross training in other areas as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Solid content knowledge of microbiology and molecular biology
- Ability to prepare chemical and biological reagents
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to calibrate and maintain scientific instrumentation
- A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field
Classification: Instructional Support Technician II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,532/month - $4,730/month
Salary Range: $ $3,907/month - $6,779/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
*Application Screening Date Extended to May 31, 2022.*
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 21, 2022 through March 8, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).