Reporting to the Sr. Director, this position serves as the Customer Service Specialist Tier 2 point of contact. The position will receive inbound escalation from Tier 1 support staff, students, staff, prospective students and faculty experiencing login, navigational or processing difficulty with enterprise computer systems.
The incumbent answers incoming calls for Technical Service, provides prompt and accurate technical assistance troubleshooting and resolving problems and/or issues.
- Provide customer login support information to SJSU students, faculty and staff.
- Monitor data and appropriately troubleshooting customer service issues.
- Collaborate with the Service Desk team to route issues appropriately for fastest resolution.
- Schedule training rooms as needed and respond to customer questions regarding services.
- Ensure customers can access data regarding SJSU and solve processing issues.
- Analyze, resolve, and route helpdesk phone calls and emails.
- Provide general directory assistance, route calls and provide in-person assistance to customers.
- Determine appropriate category for resolution, log, route and track trouble tickets using iSupport system.
- Follow up on open and overdue service desk tickets.
- Monitor common problems to determine if additional documentation is needed.
- Provide Technical Support – Tier 2.
- Receive inbound telephone calls, chat messages, and emails on product questions.
- Provide technical Tier 2 troubleshooting, and problem resolution.
- Provide user-friendly explanations and follow-up using telephone, emails, and/or chat, and in person communication.
- Resolve customer problems in a friendly and timely manner in order to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Open trouble tickets using the trouble ticketing tool and document action steps and resolutions including follow-up.
- Ensure issues are fully documented within the iSupport (trouble ticket tool) application that allows for seamless escalation to other personnel as required.
- Use professional judgment to resolve a problem.
- Serve as the customer advocate and interact with internal teams to solve issues.
- Escalate customer concerns as necessary to the appropriate manager, as required.
- Serve as liaison between customers and other personnel. Communicate problems and trends to the team for internal resolution.
- Communicate and train Tier I support in processing and resolving reported problems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to provide Tier 2 technical support
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions
- Proficiency using standard software packages
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to troubleshoot basic help desk inquiries
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to apply campus information security policy and standards to develop specific security requirements
- Knowledge of data administration principles and techniques
- Ability to communicate in writing and speaking clearly to a diverse group of customers
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate and support projects
- Working knowledge of software applications: Word processing, Excel spreadsheet, Database management
- Knowledge in either of these technologies: network, WiFi, security, or cloud technologies
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment and learn new systems
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities and maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with customers
- Ability to apply security models and frameworks to ensure appropriate security is maintained
- Technical knowledge and understanding of electronics and networking (TCP/IP), browser functionality, and troubleshooting of common networking devices
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- Experience providing technical support and customer service support
- Experience in a University or college environment.
- Experience with electronic and networking (TCP/IP)
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Career
Salary Range: $4,372/month - $10,792/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 14, 2022 through January 28, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).