Under the broad direction of the Vice President of Information Technology/CIO and as a senior member of the IT Leadership Team, the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Information Technology Infrastructure & Operations is responsible for oversight of multiple critical IT operational functions and services including campus IT infrastructure, networking, data center/cloud services operations, computing/data storage services, campus electronic messaging system, identity management, and unified communications. The incumbent assists the VPIT and CIO in developing the vision and providing leadership for the Information Technology Division, evaluating the division and campus strategic plans to determine when IT infrastructure, systems and applications need to be updated or replaced due to obsolescence, compliance or business requirements. This includes conducting annual assessment of services, quarterly measurements with formal reporting, and evaluating and implementing needed changes.
The AVP also assists the Vice President Information Technology/CIO in establishing the IT Research Support function to support campus research and scholarly activities at SJSU, and works in collaboration with leaders in IT and other campus divisions to support the university’s strategic plan.
- Under the guidance of the VPIT and CIO, provide vision, leadership, and administration to the IT Infrastructure and Operations units.
- Represent VPIT and CIO in various collaborative campus venues, leveraging them as additional input sources for planning.
- Under the guidance of the VPIT and CIO, work in partnership with facilities management, and vendors/contractors on major capital construction projects that involve the integration of fiber/cabling infrastructure, data networks, telecommunications and overall coordination with technology initiatives.
- Assist the VPIT and CIO in building partnership with relevant units on campus and help communicate the direction for new technologies and the improved use of existing technologies.
- Participate in appropriate committees and knowledge sharing activities in IT, San Jose State University, CSU, and other relevant industry committees.
- Ensure the appropriate chargebacks, relevant MOUs, Statements of Work, and confidentiality agreements are implemented correctly.
- Under the direction of VPIT and CIO, lead cloud transformation efforts.
- Develop an understanding of the markets the Global Cloud Providers operate in, and each provider's competitive strategy. Research the go to market strategies of the cloud players and determine the best way to optimize within the cloud infrastructure at SJSU.
- Support leadership development, succession planning and growth of organization.
- Ensure compliance with all financial procedures and ensure expenditures do not exceed the resources available.
- Coordinate the annual assessment of IT Infrastructure department services. Assure end-users experience is considered as a key component in any technology service upgrade or introduction.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong combination of demonstrated skills in strategic planning, analytical and holistic problem-solving, project management, effective communication and coordination of internal and external resources
- Collaborative skills to work effectively with faculty, staff, and senior administrators in areas other than technology to develop and implement appropriate uses of technology
- Ability to understand complex challenges and lead teams of management personnel and technologists to deploy appropriate technological solutions that meet campus vision and mission
- Broad base of technical knowledge in IT systems and emerging technology trends and issues
- Knowledge with computing networks, systems, telecommunications, data center infrastructure, systems design and implementation, identity management, and information security
- Strong knowledge in cloud technologies/business management and market options
- Ability to drive digitalization and cloud transformation at an enterprises level
- Thorough knowledge of IT architecture from infrastructure, systems and software development perspective
- Knowledge and understanding of process improvement methodologies (Six Sigma, Lean, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a broad range of technologies within a complex enterprise computing environment or a university environment
- Demonstrated ability in IT strategic planning, budgeting and personnel management
- Demonstrated ability working in a position that requires a high degree of technical and service skills
- Demonstrated ability leveraging technology to achieve the most effective and efficient solutions to support teaching, student learning and business processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or related fields, or equivalent work experience
- Ten (10) years of IT management experience
- Five (5) years of senior IT management experience overseeing infrastructure services Input preferred qualifications
Classification: Administrator IV
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 14, 2022 through January 28, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).