Position Rank and Title: Assistant Professor/Aviation Program
School/Department Name: College of Engineering/Aviation and Technology
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule. See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU’s excellent employment benefits.
Target Start Date: August 17, 2022
Application Deadline: February 15, 2022 (Applications accepted until filled or closed)
The available faculty position is in the areas of aircraft systems and design, flight controls, avionics, air traffic management, aircraft structures, and flight operations for a candidate with experience and expertise. The position requires teaching Aircraft Theory and Design, Aircraft systems, Propulsion Theory, Aircraft Turbine Engines, Avionics, and Air Traffic Control. More information about the SJSU Aviation and Technology Department can be found at: https://www.sjsu.edu/avtech
The Aviation and Technology Department is the oldest department in the College of Engineering. The Department has an enrollment of over 850 in its programs and enjoys having a strong relationship with local industry through continuous support of its Industry Advisory Boards. The Department has had a long-standing internship program as part of its curriculum to allow students to gain internship experience in industry while they evaluate such students as long-term potential employees.
The Department offers a BS degree in Aviation in four options of 1) Professional Flight, 2) Flight Operations, 3) Aviation Management, and 4) Maintenance Management. Aviation Program is Ranked #1 in on the West Coast of the US and California, while it is Ranked #4 nationally.
This Department offers both BS and MS Degrees in Engineering Technology. The BS degrees are offered in the following concentrations: a) Computer Network System Management, b) Manufacturing Systems. Computer Network System Management (CNSM) prepares students to meet the demand by industry in recruiting graduates with knowledge, skills, and experience in Computer Network Systems. The Manufacturing Systems prepares students with modern tools related to Smart Manufacturing, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), and data analytics in the Modern Manufacturing Ecosystem. Our BS and MS programs students are engaged in academic research with faculty, or work on projects with industry senior projects and MS projects. Our full-time faculty are all active researchers and are successful in attracting major funding from industry.
The Aviation and Technology Department and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- A Masters or a Doctorate Degree in Aviation, Aeronautics or Engineering. For a Doctoral Degree with a conferral date of no later than April 15, 2022.
- A certificate in Airframe and Power plant (A&P) with direct experience in aircraft maintenance.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of a strong commitment to and capability of: (a) teaching and working with a diverse population of undergraduate students, (b) curricular innovation to complement and further advance the program, (c) laboratory development that enhances the quality of education and research, (d) development of externally funded research programs and laboratory capabilities, and (e) publications of research work in peer-reviewed research journals and professional conferences.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- Experience and strong research expertise in aircraft systems and design
- Flight controls and avionics, or flight operations
- FAA Flight Rating in Part 141
- Extensive industry experience relevant to the aviation field
- Teaching Award Winners
- Research Grant Awardees
- Innovative Scholars
- Faculty in the Aviation Program are expected to have expertise in the subject matter of the classes or labs they teach.
- The regular teaching duties of the faculty include: (a) Developing all necessary course materials, (b) Delivering synchronous and/or asynchronous lectures for the assigned class, in accordance with standard SJSU practices, (c) Grading course assignments, examinations and project reports, (d) Enforcing academic policies in the assigned course, such as academic integrity violations and reporting these to the appropriate authorities, (e) Coordinating the activities of teaching assistants/graders who may have been assigned to the course, (f) Posting the final grades in a timely manner at the end of the semester, and (g) contributing to the regular assessment and continuous improvement of teaching effectiveness at both course and program levels.
- Faculty are also expected to conduct teaching and research activities of the highest academic and professional caliber, while maintaining a student-centric approach at all times, thus contributing to the development of students as productive, responsible, and caring citizens of the world. This includes maintaining an active research lab that provides research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Participation in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees, academic advising of undergraduate and graduate students, and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness, experience, and understanding of the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy
- research plans
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair or Search Committee Chair: Dr. Fred Barez at email@example.com
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Proof of immunization against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley — one of the most innovative regions in the world — San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.