Reporting to the Vice Provost for Faculty Success, the Faculty Success Analyst provides highly complex administrative and technical support to the Vice Provost in areas related to faculty recruitment, tenure, promotion, data collection, and training. The Analyst must be able to independently oversee special projects from conception to completion and work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion; apply knowledge of relevant SJSU and CSU policies, regulations, and procedures; maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities; and routinely interface with and support a wide variety of stakeholders. The Analyst must work collaboratively and effectively to establish and maintain working relationships within a diverse environment and must be committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Incumbent collects and organizes relevant data from multiple databases and systems, organizes and supports in-person and virtual training sessions, and sustains collaborative relationships across campus to successfully implement process efficiencies with buy-in from appropriate stakeholders.
- Acts as a liaison for Faculty Success processes and practices
- Drafts and implements pertinent training communication plans to appropriate stakeholders in a timely manner using various forms of media, including email, website, direct outreach, meetings, etc.
- Collaborates with departments, colleges, and other units to monitor and improve Faculty Success processes
- Works with Academic Business & Strategic Operations (ABSO) to provide detailed analysis, monitoring, and tracking of expenses related to faculty salaries
- Assesses urgency level of a response and, when appropriate, disseminate information on behalf of the Vice Provost and the Office for Faculty Success to external and internal stakeholders
- Plans, prepares, and implements training sessions with duties that include scheduling, disseminating documents, and assisting trainer with duties as needed, as well as gather feedback from training participants to assess instructional effectiveness
- Creates and maintains an electronic filing system for easy access by colleagues
- Creates and organizes spreadsheets of trackable information and implements archival system for quick access and for data analysis
- Creates routine processes for data collection and management
- Intakes and tracks all documents that require review and approval by the Vice Provost’s Office; ensures completeness of documents requiring approval or signature
- Participates in strategic planning within the unit to assist the Vice Provost in new and upcoming projects
- Assists in analyzing Faculty Success processes and make recommendations to streamline them
- Conveys and/or presents information to Vice Provost and, as directed, to all key stakeholders using appropriate verbal, written, graphic, or other relevant format as needed
- Assists with and proofreads correspondence sent on behalf of the Vice Provost
- Coordinates training with campus partners and addresses complications in a quick and timely manner
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to perform accurately in a detailed-oriented environment
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies, and procedures
- Works with units within the division and other units across the university to coordinate workflow and activities to ensure a seamless operation
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work, and projects
- Ability to network, apply project management, and interpersonal skills to develop effective work relationships
- Ability to organize and coordinate events
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling to effectively compose, edit and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Knowledge of software applications such as Google Suite, People Soft, Adobe Acrobat, Lucid Chart, word processing, spreadsheet, and database management
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Five or more years of progressively more responsible administrative work involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Technological proficiency, especially with systems such as PeopleSoft, Interfolio, and PageUp/CHRS
- Expertise in operations and systems analysis and experience interpreting and evaluating results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies
- Excellent written communication skills and advanced knowledge of using spreadsheets
- Experience working effectively and diplomatically with all levels of cross functional teams
- Experience preparing presentations (e.g., data presentations and reports)
- Experience working in a University setting
- Experience working with diverse ethnic and racial constituencies
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,700/month - $6,600/month
Hiring Range: $4,693/month - $8,489/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 3, 2022 through January 26, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).