Reporting to the College of Engineering Director of Resources and Operations, and receiving work direction from the department chairs of Civil and Environmental Department and the Aviation and Technology Department, as well as from both CE and AVT department analysts, the incumbent provides administrative support to each of these departments. Performs duties under direct supervision to achieve specified outcomes. This position performs a full range of clerical and administrative support duties for the department, including, but not limited to: front desk support and answering phones; greeting all visitors and students; assisting with events and scheduling appointments; tracking and ordering office supplies; mail distribution; student relations and assistance with questions and problems; assisting with hiring, supervision, and oversight for the department’s Student Assistants time reporting and their payroll approval. The ASC will also fill in as needed when the analyst is not available.
- Processes undergraduate and graduate paperwork submitted to department office
- Scans and uploads undergraduate and graduate forms and drafts culminating experience requests
- Processes DocuSign forms for change of grade requests
- Tracks status of forms received by the office and sends outgoing paperwork to the appropriate office and/ or end recipients
- Answers student questions about appropriate forms and procedures and notifies students of the status of forms processed by the department office
- Monitors inventory of stock and reorders office supplies, as needed
- Maintains copier key operation and quota tracking
- Oversees mail and employee paycheck distribution
- Answers inquiries on behalf of department from students, the university, and the general public
- Keeps department information current by maintaining forms/handouts, posting faculty office hours, uploading current syllabi, updating physical notice boards and department websites/social media
- Schedules meetings and appointments and coordinates department room requests
- Assists in activities related to hiring of College of Engineering student assistants
- Tracks student hire information and work hours
- Assists in payroll time management and pick up/distributes student paychecks
- Assists with events for the department, including room setup, catering, and technical support
- Assists as needed for special events and projects, planning, organizing, coordinating, hospitality, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Mastery of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling, with ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of software applications, particularly MS Office and Google app suite software
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects. Ability to train and direct student assistants to help as needed with tasks
- Ability to understand and gain thorough knowledge of SJSU, college, and department methods, procedures and practices, and to explain those policies to students and the general public
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, handle multiple work unit priorities and projects, and perform tasks in a busy office
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships
- Ability to collaborate in a multicultural, team environment
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service
- Experience with Word and Excel
- Experience with student appointments
- Preferred experience with SJSU CMS & financial systems (FTS, CFS/Data Warehouse), PeopleSoft
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $4,000/ month
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 23, 2021 through December 7, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).