Reporting to the Associate Director of Student Outreach and Recruitment, the Admissions Counselor and Welcome Center Operations Specialist is primarily responsible for the Welcome Center coordination related to the recruitment, advising, and admissions of undergraduate students in support of the Enrollment Management Plan of San José State University (SJSU). In collaboration with the Enrollment Management units and various University offices, the incumbent assists in recruitment process of prospective high school and community college students. This position plays a key role in ensuring the historical and excellent reputation of the university is preserved. The Specialist leads the work of 10-15 Student Ambassadors who provide primer tours and admission presentations to more than 20k visitors to SJSU annually. This position assists with pre-admissions counseling, attending recruitment events and the development of communication plans and marketing initiatives using technical software and social media. As a representative for San Jose State University, this position maintains a high level of expertise in requirements, processes, and regulations to facilitate quality customer service and advising in supporting students’ decisions to apply and attend SJSU.
- Primary contact for the Welcome Center which supports more than 20,000 visitors annually.
- Oversees the Student Ambassador Program which entails campus tour training, providing professional development opportunities, running monthly student staff meetings, scheduling, administering the mentoring program and providing work direction along with assisting the Associate Director in the hiring of Student Ambassadors
- Develop and implement a personalized tour for each prospective student and their family (e.g. VIP page, confirmation email with parking pass, and automated post tour survey via email and postcard)
- Schedules student ambassador SOAR front counter, Welcome Center Coordinator and tours throughout the academic year and summer months
- Schedules, coordinates and tracks small to large group presentation requests from prospective student groups visiting campus
- Collects, analyzes, and reports campus tour survey data information on a weekly basis to the Director and Associate Director in order to improve services and help with Stratigic Planning
- Provides one-on-one and/or small group drop in pre- admissions counseling to prospective students and their guests while in the Welcome Center
- Performs SJSU/CSU Admissions presentations and workshops to prospective students and guests in the Welcome Center and other locations during campus visits
- Conducts domestic and international advising and recruitment to prospective students
- Advises students who are eligible for special programs and services such as EOP, AB540, and Transfer Admission for students who have ADTs on the process of acceptance to each of these programs
- Assists SOAR recruiters/admissions counselors with specific recruitment events ranging from middle school, high school or community college targeted student groups
- Attends specific college fairs, high school college nights, transfer days and specific recruitment yield events when needed
- Assists in the coordination, preparation and execution of large scale recruitment/preview/yield events both on and off campus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to attend trainings and professional development opportunities in order to maintain knowledge of current technology and best practices
- Ability to train student staff in areas such as: professional development, customer service, presentation skills, and business operations
- Ability to formulate daily, weekly, monthly, bi-annual, and annual reports for internal and external use
- Ability to develop and lead presentations and workshops
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, and resolve student problems and concerns in the most efficient manner possible
- Ability to travel on a need basis, independently off campus to various community college and/or high school sites for recruitment events and presentation visits
- Ability to establish partnerships through the university community and outside constituents
- Ability to work evenings and weekends during peak recruitment season
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required
- Ability to recognize multicultural, multi-gendered, and multi-aged value systems and work accordingly
- Ability to plan and execute multiple work priorities and projects.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related
- Three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master’s degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience communicating admissions policies, requirements and procedures
- Experience working with email systems, internet, social media, video and other mass communication methods
- Experience coordinating and implementing campus tours both in-person and virtual
- Experience training and leading the work of student workers/assistants
- Experience overseeing virtual and in-person programming and services to prospective students and guests related to recruitment and yield events; Admitted receptions, preview events and fairs
- Experience coordinating and implementing campus tours both in-person and virtual
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,691/month - $4,956/month
Salary Range: $4,691/month - $6,683/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 22, 2021 through January 25, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).