This is one year temporary, part-time (0.50 FTE), fully benefited position.
This position will provide administrative and logistical support to MLML’s Scientific Diving Program Memorandum of Agreement (MOU) with SFSU and Sonoma State. The position requires scientific diving in support of research diving-related activities by the faculty and researchers listed in the MOU. This position will organize dive plans, diver certifications, diver training and assist with the filing of dive plans, scheduling and vessel in use in coordination with MLML Marine Operations, scheduling meetings and will facilitate communications between SFSU and Sonoma State research divers and MLML’s Diving Safety Officer. The program assistant will also provide administrative support for purchasing gear, equipment and tank fills.
Please note, this position will be located at our Moss Landing Marine Labs (MLML) campus located in Moss Landing, CA. MLML is a consortium of seven California State University Campuses (CSU) and administered by San José State University’s (SJSU) College of Science located in Moss Landing, CA.
Visit our website to learn more about our graduate program and research: https://mlml.sjsu.edu/
- Reviewing diving paperwork: Webdiver, certification materials, dive plans, dive logs.
- Detailed, consistent and clear communications with divers, MLML Diving Safety Officer, Marine Operations
- Review status and records for diving equipment and provide timely information to Diving safety Officer for assessment
- Scientific Diving in support of research diving related activities by the faculty and researchers listed in the MOU: Observe divers in refresher settings, classes, research, certification courses, course work, student, faculty researcher projects and provide timely, accurate, detailed observations to Diving Safety Officer
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Current AAUS Certification, experience with small boat and diving operations, experience with detail-oriented, clear communications, dive program logistics and scheduling, strong administrative support skills
- Entry qualifications as described above.
- Working knowledge of general practices, program, and/or administrative specialty. Basic knowledge of and ability to apply fundamental concepts.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures relating to and impacting the applicable program, organizational unit, and/or administrative specialty. Knowledge of basic methods and procedures for research and statistical analysis and the ability to apply them.
- Ability to organize and plan work and projects including handling multiple priorities.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to compile, write, and present reports related to program or administrative specialty. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the organizational unit.
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Masters of Science, Marine Biology, Scientific Diving Certification from an AAUS accredited Scientific Diving Program
- Current AAUS Certification, experience with small boat and diving operations
- Practical knowledge of the operation and handling of small boats as related to diving and diving safety procedures. Working knowledge of small boat navigational principles and related operation skills are desirable. Knowledge of environmental conditions off California as it relates to safe diving and boating
- SCUBA diving from the shore or from a boat at sea. SCUBA diving from the shore or from a boat at sea. Work may occur in the early mornings, evenings and weekends depending on the department’s research diving needs, weather and sea conditions
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Non-Exempt
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $4,334/month (Full-Time: 1.0 FTE), up to $2,167/month (Part-Time: 0.50 FTE)
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $6,347/month (Full-Time: 1.0 FTE)
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 23, 2021 through December 7, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).