This position is a member of the Web Services team supporting a variety of web-based applications. The position coordinates, facilitates and manages all activities related to Accessible Technology Initiatives (ATI). In addition, this position implements new and changed websites and web applications; and provides customer support for these applications, resolving incidents and implementing changes. Meanwhile, utilizing website accessibility checker to scan and resolve accessibility issues and errors. Finally, this position will develop and deliver user training on key tools and applications, as well as other consulting on web design, user experience and related areas including the usage of web accessibility tools.
The incumbent will also work collaboratively with departmental staff as needed to support and maintain content for departmental websites ensuring all web pages and content are accurate and updated regularly. This position will work across the university community requiring effective communication and making recommendations and solving needs to ensure departments have up-to-date and effective web solutions.
- Help administer campus accessibility auditing software (SiteImprove) by provisioning accounts, generating and sending reports, and providing support to campus users
- Provide consultation and guidance to content editors on accessibility requirements and solution.
- Create and maintain ATI web accessibility report. Ensure ATI compliance.
- Coordinate and implement all actions required from the ATI web accessibility report.
- Develop and maintain online help resources such as documentation, FAQs, training material and internal support procedures.
- Provide first-level support to customers for website (Modern Campus) and blog (WordPress).
- Provide consulting on information architecture, content strategy, and usability practices to and campus content editors.
- For all websites, ensure content is compliant with all university and department standards for web content, including state and federal accessibility standards (WCAG AA 2.1 standards).
- Provide application support, administration and configuration to assigned applications including managing the implementation of new applications and updating new versions.
- Manage and resolve Incidents and implement Changes working with Suppliers and others as needed.
- Develop and maintain online help resources and documentation including training material. Deliver training to groups or individually as needed.
- Coordinate work between campus departments, other IT departments, and Suppliers to ensure applications are available, responsive and meeting user needs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated strong working Knowledge of Web Accessibility Scanning Tools (ex. SiteImprove, AbleDocs)
- Strong working knowledge of WCAG accessibility standards
- Strong knowledge of information architecture, content strategy, and usability best practices
- Strong knowledge of content management systems (ex. Drupal, Omni CMS, WordPress, et al)
- Strong knowledge of configuration of SaaS applications
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics
- Working knowledge of Google Search Console, Google custom search engine, and search engine optimization best practices
- Working knowledge of change management processes (ex. ITIL Support Operations including Incident Management, Change Management, and Problem Management)
- Working knowledge of project management practices
- Ability to think critically and analytically, analyze technical problems utilizing problem solving techniques
- Ability to compose and format effective web pages, correspondence and reports
- Ability to translate requirements, ideas and suggestions into full web page designs
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- One-year experience with web accessibility scanning tools
- One-year experience with coordinating and leading web accessibility related projects
- Demonstrable experience in large scale web-based design and deployment
- Experience in supporting, administrating or configuring web-based applications
Classification: Information Technology Consultant – Career
Salary Range: $4,372/month - $10,173/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 11, 2021 through November 25, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).