Reporting to the Associate Registrar and working independently under general supervision, the Student Services Specialist is responsible for providing support to a range of complex functions in the Office of the Registrar involving the exercise of a high degree of judgment. The incumbent's responsibilities include: Student Record Management, Customer Service Relations, Open University Gmail Account Management, National Student Clearinghouse Account Management, Official Transcript Database Management, Office of the Registrar Liaison to Colleges, Academic Departments, and all other constituents of the University, Management of Reinstatement Petitions, and recording of Study Abroad courses and grades on SJSU transcript.
- Perform detailed and complex tasks to update, correct, and audit student records.
- Check and verify discrepancies in registration and grading records received from departments, chairs, deans, students, and staff to ensure compliance with Academic Senate policy, Executive Orders, and Title V.
- Coordinate with evaluators, department staff, UGS, GSR, chairs, and deans when performing record updates, grade changes, multiple repeat processing, incomplete processing, and academic standing updates and corrections to student records, instructor drops, late drops and adds, retro-drops and adds, miscellaneous exception petitions.
- Perform extensive research of records such as verifying for accuracy and completeness as required in updating, correcting and locating data from various mediums, such as microfilm, old folders, boxes of stored records, as well as a legacy database from conversion in 2003.
- Perform in-depth processes using a variety of complex student information databases, such as PeopleSoft, FileMaker, and OnBase.
- Perform registration for students unable to register online. This includes regular and special session students.
- Review all requests for compliance with university policy and eligibility and categorizes requests based on level and category of reinstatement based on student program: graduate or undergraduate for entry into Reinstatement database in FileMaker.
- Facilitate students’ ability to register for classes and provide information related to registration and records to students.
- Coordinate unique Registrar-related programs, such as Spartans Online, OU Online registration, and special sessions.
- Process transcript requests using Credentials, Inc., our online transcript request provider, and paper requests as well.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of University methods, procedures and practices and calendars
- Detailed knowledge of policies and the ability to interpret them
- Knowledge in order to navigate PeopleSoft in daily tasks
- Ability to learn new systems and technological tools
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and database management as well as PeopleSoft
- Ability to perform accurate and detail-oriented tasks
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn, interpret, and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to inquiries and requests related to the work area
- Ability to understand problems from a broader perspective and anticipate the impact of office administration problems and solutions on the areas
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Three years of related office work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two years of professional work experience in student records or a related field (police, hospital, etc.)
- Two years of experience in a high-volume setting providing excellent customer service in higher education or related environment
- Experience using databases (i.e.: SIS, Banner, PeopleSoft, FileMaker Pro, Excel Spreadsheet) or comparable databases
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,352/month - $3,540/month
Salary Range: $3,352/month - $5,639
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 5, 2021 through November 23, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).