Position Rank and Title: Assistant or Associate Professor of Marketing
Department Name: Marketing and Business Analytics
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule. See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU’s excellent employment benefits.
Target Start Date: August 2022
Application Deadline: October 10, 2021 Screening of candidates will begin October 11, 2021, but the position remains open until filled.
The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Marketing Strategy and Marketing Analytics beginning in Fall 2022. This position will be required to teach Marketing courses such as Marketing Communications, Marketing Management, Marketing Analytics, and Automated and AI-Based Marketing to our undergraduate students and MBA/Executive Level audiences, and ideally should have research that is related to these areas.
The Department of Marketing and Business Analytics, located in Silicon Valley, is home to a large community of scholars and students. We are a balanced Department, and are searching for candidates who share our dedication to both quality teaching and research. We teach in the areas of marketing and business analytics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our research includes analytical, behavioral, strategic, and applied methodologies and interests. For more information, visit our website.
The Marketing and Business Analytics Department and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and communities can benefit from different and divergent cultural and identity perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
The focus is on potential for excellence in teaching and research in Marketing Strategy and Communications and Marketing Analytics. Teaching assignments will be at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Possess a Ph.D. by start of appointment and be academically qualified under AACSB standards.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural and socially diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
- Demonstrate the potential to conduct high quality research and publish in peer-reviewed journals on cutting-edge, rigorously examined topics.
- For those with teaching experience, provide evidence of teaching excellence at the university level.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a collegial atmosphere as part of a team.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to interact effectively with the business community in Silicon Valley.
- Primary disciplinary needs are in the areas of marketing strategy and communications. Secondary needs include marketing analytics and automated and AI-based marketing. Teaching assignments are at both the graduate and undergraduate levels in traditional and accelerated formats.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by for example publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting professional papers.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity–in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation–through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy (one page)
- research plans (one page)
- Three reference letters with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair, Dr. Michael Merz, or Search Committee Chair Dr. Gema Vinuales at: Gema.Vinuales@sjsu.edu .
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley — one of the most innovative regions in the world — San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.