Position Rank and Title: Tenure-track Assistant Professor
Department Name: Computer Engineering
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule. See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU’s excellent employment benefits.
Target Start Date: August 2022
Application Deadline: January 2, 2022 (Applications accepted until filled or closed)
The Computer Engineering Department at San José State University (SJSU), http://cmpe.sjsu.edu/, invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor. Areas of particular interest include computer architecture, embedded systems, robotics, computer vision, digital design, SOC and ASIC design, artificial intelligence and machine learning, human-computer interaction, cyber-physical systems, data analytics, data mining and big data, and software design, but other related areas will also be considered.
Located in the center of Silicon Valley, the Computer Engineering Department provides local and national high-tech companies with high quality, practice-oriented computer graduates. Bachelor’s degree programs are offered in computer engineering and software engineering. Master’s degree programs are offered in computer engineering, software engineering, and artificial intelligence. Course topics range from computer hardware design and embedded systems to software design and construction of real-time systems, virtual systems, enterprise software, and data mining. The department serves more than 2000 undergraduate and graduate students and provides its faculty and students with ample opportunities for close collaborative ties with industry and research partners in Silicon Valley.
The Computer Engineering Department and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- Applicants must have a doctorate in Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a closely related field by the start of the appointment.
- Applicants must have a strong commitment and demonstrate potential to teaching excellence, dedication to continued professional development and scholarship, and a broad knowledge of computer/software engineering. Demonstrated ability in written and oral use of the English language is required.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
- A faculty member is expected to teach, supervise, and advise students in both undergraduate and graduate programs, and to establish a research program related to his/her field of interest.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement (2 pages maximum)
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy (2 pages maximum)
- research plans (2 pages maximum)
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair, Dr. Rod Fatoohi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley — one of the most innovative regions in the world — San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.