Position Rank and Title: Tenure-track Assistant Professor
School/Department Name: Department of Applied Data Science
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule. See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU’s excellent employment benefits.
Target Start Date: August 2022
Application Deadline: Applications accepted until filled or closed
The Department of Applied Data Science at San José State University seeks qualified candidates for full-time assistant professor positions in data science and its applied technologies.
The department offers academic programs to address emerging workforce demands of the interdisciplinary talents designing and deploying intelligent solutions to real-world data challenges. Students acquire a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the principles, methodologies and technologies of data science. Silicon Valley is known for its leadership in the big data economy and its demand for talent in response to the exponential growth of data. The department continuously seeks guidance from leading data professionals and companies to ensure that the curriculum is relevant for growing the talent needed in Silicon Valley.
Local data professionals regularly interact with our students through teaching classes, speaking at seminars, sponsoring internships, and supervising capstone projects. Faculty members actively engage with industry partners and sponsors to assess our curricula and update learning objectives in order to provide the most up-to-date skills for supporting innovations from this region.
The department is an academic hub, in partnership with other SJSU departments and industry partners, for promoting education and research in applied data science. In order to address the immense demand for data science professionals, the department launched an MS in Data Analytics program in August 2018. This program provides students with the advanced education necessary to draw insights from real data and apply analytical skills to solve practical problems. Currently, 250 students are enrolled in the program, with continued plans for future growth.
More information about the Department of Applied Data Science at San José State University can be found here. More information about MS in Data Analytics program can be found here.
The Department of Applied Data Science and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- An earned doctorate by start of appointment.
- Evidence of or strong potential for scholarly and professional achievement.
- Evidence of or strong potential for teaching and/or training effectiveness.
- Proven track record of industry and/or commercial applications in data science/analytics.
- Expertise in at least two fields in Data Science (machine/deep learning, database systems for analytics, big data mining and analytics, big data engineering, visualizing and communicating data, large scale data analytics, cloud computing, mobile computing, data-driven modeling and prediction, rich media data processing, image processing, natural language processing.) and at least one field in Applied Technologies (virtual reality systems, wearable computers, computer vision, augmented reality systems, intelligent robotics, autonomous systems, big data security, smart machines, integrated intelligent systems).
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a socially and economically diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
Priority will be given to candidates who possess one or more of the following:
- The ability to teach courses in at least two of the above fields in Data Science.
- The ability to teach graduate-level courses to students with diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
- The potential to jointly develop applied research projects in emerging data science/analytics with Silicon Valley companies.
- The potential to be qualified for tenure through excellent teaching, research and services.
- Have teaching responsibilities in data science and applied technologies.
- Be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by: conducting research, presenting professional papers, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, and developing grants.
- Participate in state, national, and international professional organizations, as well as service to the department, college, and University.
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- Demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy
- research plans
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Lee Chang, Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley — one of the most innovative regions in the world — San José State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.