The Associate Director, International Recruitment and Partnerships is under the general direction of the Senior Director of Marketing, Communications, and Outreach in the College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE), the Associate Director oversees international student recruitment activities and facilitates international collaborations and partnerships by identifying and developing partnerships, programs, and resources globally. The incumbent grows a qualified international student applicant pool, supports the yielding of international students to enroll at San José State University (SJSU), and represents SJSU internationally.
The Associate Director plans, organizes, and executes recruitment and outreach strategies for credit and non-credit programs as well as for degree-seeking international students. As a part of the overall enrollment strategies for international students at SJSU, the Associate Director has responsibilities that span across the entire enrollment cycle from recruitment through successful enrollment and matriculation.
- Gather and analyze quantitative and qualitative data to establish effective recruitment and promotional plans
- Implement recruitment plans to attract, cultivate, and yield prospective students, including direct degree, transfer, special session, and noncredit prospects
- Contribute to marketing plans, databases, and advertising strategies to distribute messages and materials to promote SJSU/CPGE programs and yield students
- Collect and analyze socio-economic data and perform trend analysis of international markets to make strategic recommendations regarding emerging and declining markets as well as locations to visit on overseas trips
- Use available technology, and develop new approaches, to effectively distribute program information, and cultivate prospects
- Lead prospect development through webinar and online recruitment venues
- Provide content and updates for promotional material, such as program catalog and other printed material, video, presentations web pages, social media, etc.
- Keep abreast of current immigration regulations of Immigration and Naturalization Service and visa issuance policies of the U.S. Department of State as well as SJSU and CSU policy and practices as it relates to the recruitment and matriculation of international students to SJSU
- Develop and maintain relationships with key international student advisory agencies, agents, clients, and international universities
- Develop and oversee agents and proxy recruitment strategies, including vetting and approving information for international agreements
- Develop partnerships and collaborate with CPGE and SJSU units to maximize SJSU recruitment opportunities, including ISSS, International Gateways, GEI, GAPE, SOAR, and other international groups
- Plan and undertake overseas recruitment trips lasting up to 3 weeks in length without being away from CPGE office more than three months per year
- Conduct presentations at overseas education fairs, universities, other institutions of higher learning, and high schools
- Coordinate with Enrollment Services to recruit transfer students from local and other community colleges
- Initiate communications with academic departments on campus in order to assist international students in obtaining preliminary evaluation services to determine their academic eligibility and admissibility into both undergraduate and graduate programs
- Create itineraries, lists of services to be provided to clients, and terms and conditions for participation in cohort programs
- Provide work-lead direction to the International Academic Advisor(s), Recruiter(s), and Student Assistant(s) within the unit. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide input on the staffs’ job performance to the appropriate administrator
- Conduct the job performance reviews of the student assistant(s)
- Prepare progress reports, informs the appropriate administrator of project status and deviation from goals; prepares activity reports for management guidance
- Recommend initiatives and changes to improve quality and services for all activities (including recruitment, program development, etc.)
- Serve as point of contact for business and assigned program budget decisions
- Develop a detailed budget for all activities (recruitment, events, yielding, travel, program development, etc.), including estimates of revenues and expenditures. Propose revisions as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction
- Strong oral communication skills
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to effectively work as a team member
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and address problems and/or conflicts proactively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures related to employee performance
- Working knowledge of software applications such as: Word, Excel, G-Suite, and database management systems.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling. Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to evaluate and recommend initiatives and changes for improvement of quality and services of activities and programs
- Knowledge of budget planning, financial management, and data reporting
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with courses in adult education and curriculum planning.
- Equivalent to three years of experience in planning classes and curriculum for higher or extended education programs and including developing resources, budgets, marketing plans and liaison with the community.
- Master’s degree in a related field or a Bachelor’s degree plus extensive training and working history in the field
- At least four years’ experience recruiting international students for a major United States university
- Professional experience developing recruitment plans and budgets
- Experience progressively cultivating and managing large numbers of potential students and providers through databases.
- Professional experience working with international universities as partners for recruitment.
- Firm understanding of policies, procedures and laws related to international students enrolling in US universities
- Experience working successfully with marketing, enrollment and student support units within a university
- SJSU experience preferred
Classification: Extended Education Specialist II
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $6,917/month
Salary Range: $5,351/month - $7,633/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 9, 2021 through September 23, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).