Financial and Program Planning Officer
Job no: 504535
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Full Time
Under the direction of the Assistant Director for Budget Planning and Analysis, the Financial and Program Planning Officer oversees and manages the business planning process and all fiscal affairs pertaining to self-support programs and activities within the Academic Affairs Division. The incumbent evaluates fee proposals to ensure financial viability and develops strategies to optimize the use of self-support resources. The Financial and Program Planning Officer is responsible for keeping current on program revenue and enrollment trends and research in resource management methodologies while providing a broad range of analytical support that involves budget and accounting framework development and implementation, financial planning and analysis, resource allocation, management, and reporting.
- Serve as a strategic advisor to the management team in the development of self-support resource management policies and procedures
- Serve as the division liaison to the colleges to facilitate the business planning process and fee proposal development
- Gather data and apply appreciable ingenuity and innovation to identify new approaches and solutions to address complex financial and budgetary problems and issues
- Develop and coordinate practices for the effective flow of financial information pertaining to self-support activities
- Conduct data-driven analysis to support the development of financial forecasts and budget planning
- Perform break-even analysis to support business decisions and predictive modeling for long-term financial planning
- Advise division units on developing a multi-year budget during the business planning process
- Prepare internal and external reports such as revenue allocation, mid-year, and year-end reporting
- Provide guidance to division stakeholders to ensure compliance to finance policies and procedures pertaining to self-support and revenue-generating activities, such as the allocation of shared costs and expense appropriation and alignment
- Deliver occasional presentations/training sessions/workshops
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental budgeting and accounting, and principles and practices of public finance
- Ability to analyze the financial structure and procedures of SJSU, including its purpose, functions, and fiscal organization
- Knowledge of research techniques and of statistical principles and procedures
- Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with a broad administrative impact and implications and develop an effective course of action
- Experience in effective data-driven planning and decision-making through collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in setting priorities, determining methods, and troubleshooting issues
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts in the preparation of detailed financial analyses and reports
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in applications such as LucidChart, Google Suite, DocuSign, data visualization tools, word processing, spreadsheet, database management, mainframe access, CMS Financials, and Human Resources
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Five or more years of relevant work experience and progressive responsibility related to all aspects of business planning
- Experience working in higher education or the California State University system
- Experience in financial modeling
- Experience working with business intelligence software and workflow management tools
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,100/month - $7,500/month
Salary Range: $5,908/month - $11,481/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 2, 2021 through September 21, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend