The Program Specialist provides program leadership in the areas of program development, program management, and student services for EES Programs within the College of Engineering. Working independently under minimal supervision, a Program Specialist develops, manages, and administers Extended Studies programs, contributes to strategic planning, conducts analysis/evaluations of programmatic goals, and develops recommendations, implementing new online program(s) and providing support to instructors and students, while providing excellent customer service to all EES stakeholders. This position will be reporting to the Associate Dean of Extended Studies.
- Manages coordination, development and administration of OFF-campus programs
- Schedules courses and tracks student grades
- Works with academic coordinators to determine and hire appropriate faculty to teach off campus
- Communicates with individual students and faculty on routine issues and those issues which may be new or controversial. Researches and proposes solutions with acceptable outcomes
- Analyzes established guidelines to determine value
- Develops new procedures for situations where guidelines are outdated or do not exist
- Advises application of policies and procedures to students and faculty of off-campus cohorts
- Contributes to the strategic planning of Extended Studies programmatic goals
- Performs market research and analysis to determine the viability of new programs
- Analyzes marketing techniques
- Develops website content for organizational unit
- Develops print publication materials for marketing
- Design and implement new online programs
- Develop/identify/apply tools (software) for online programs
- Performs research and analysis of current policies to ensure EES compliance
- Develops assessment tools related to student success
- Performs in-depth analysis of feedback from student assessments
- Re-evaluates current methods and modifies as necessary
- Develops opportunities for outreach and student recruitment
- Organizes events with local industry executives and professional organizations
- Develops and facilitates events for Extended Studies students and their specific needs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize and perform work in various situations
- Ability to learn and implement online classes in both synchronous and asynchronous environments (preferably academic experience)
- Knowledge of business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections
- Ability to investigate and analyze issues with broad administrative impacts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside working groups
- Occasional driving and evening/weekend work required
- Valid driver license is required for this position
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, principles, practices, and techniques applicable to the program and/or administrative specialty to develop conclusions and make recommendations
- Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and outside regulations pertaining to the applicable program and/or administrative specialty
- Skill in the research, development and evaluation of policies and programs, including skill in the collection, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Master of Science (MS) degree
- Program development and project management experience
- Demonstrated professional experience across different units/organizations
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and Salesforce
- Experience supporting information systems and/or online programs
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,600/month - $5,000/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 16, 2021, through August 30, 2021. Application Screening Date Extended to September 7, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).