Engineering Student Engagement Advisor
Job no: 500683
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Probationary, Full Time, Student Services
The Engineering Student Engagement Advisor will also assist with the development and implementation of college-wide community-building/student engagement support services targeting primarily freshmen, sophomores, and first-year transfers’ students. The Advisor will support college and campus-wide events on behalf of the college. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Student Support Programs, the Engineering Student Engagement Advisor will work under general supervision to provide individual and group advising to students in the College of Engineering.
- Provide individual and group advising services that facilitate student success, persistence and timely degree completion
- Assist in development of advising resources, online/virtual tools relevant to program
- Facilitate Peer Mentoring engagement and provide guidance for Mentor-mentee interaction
- Coordinate/collaborate with college faculty and staff to align services strategic priorities and work of other areas
- Plan/Coordinate implementation of on and off-campus engineering engagement programming including but not limited to: Outreach, Mentoring, Interactive Workshops, Campus visits, etc.
- Facilitate community-building and student engagement services and activities including information sessions, workshops, and special events
- Manage/maintain communication with campus and off-campus partners which may include k-16 schools, community agencies, and SJSU academic/administrative departments
- Initiate and cultivate relations with on and off-campus prospective partners/contributors to advance program goals and services
- Lead annual/on-going Student Organization Leadership Development programming and trainings
- Manage logistics for program on and off campus programing including facility reservations, liability insurance, parent consent paperwork (if any), etc. as needed
- Oversee development/revision of program activities content/curriculum
- Hire, train and supervise student staff and mentors
- Maintain accurate service/participation data and compile statistical reports
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate academic and non-academic events
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for special events
- Ability to drive on university business
- Ability to maintain a valid driver's license
- Ability to moderate undergraduate student and industry partner forums.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required
- Knowledge of related software applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, CMS, etc.)
- Ability to reason logically and analyze and solve organizational and operations problems of one or several program areas
- Ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data
- Ability to plan and conduct workshops, assist with organization of special events or activities, and make effective presentations before groups
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned
- Knowledge of research and interview techniques; and of the principles of individual and group behavior
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field
- Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master’s degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
- Possession of CA Driver’s License
- MA/MS Degree
- 1 year with direct experience in student affairs, service-learning, student involvement or higher education.
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,304/month - $4,600/month
Salary Range: $4,304/month - $6,120/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: June 4, 2021 through June 20, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend