Job no: 500677
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Full Time, Student Services
The Operations Specialist performs duties under general supervision of the Associate Director of Student Involvement and works collaboratively with all Student Involvement staff and campus partners to provide comprehensive administrative support for SJSU 400+ recognized student organizations (RSOs and Greek Life) and Student Involvement’s Campus Programming and Leadership Development cluster. The incumbent will support the Student Involvement Team with administrative processes in the annual recognition of 400+ RSOs, create and maintain databases, manage Student Involvement email accounts, reserve event spaces for various Student Involvement events and programs, and support the Associate Director in data collection for semester and annual assessment reports. The Operations Specialist may also serve as general administrative support for any related campus-wide committees (Homecoming Committee, Weeks of Welcome, etc.) as needed.
- Works directly with Associate Director and Student Engagement Coordinators to provide support for annual RSO recognition process (i.e., tracking and maintaining new organization applications and annual re-recognition applications through third-party application, adding student leaders to the mandatory Canvas course, tracking all submitted constitutions for compliance with California State University executive orders and university policies and procedures, and communicating appropriately the completion of the recognition process)
- Creates and maintains Greek databases, folders, and forms (online and paper); includes managing coded student groups in PeopleSoft, maintaining Greek chapter. rosters, organizing all event attendance data for Greek compliance, and processing and filing all other related documents (i.e., Greek New Member Agreement Forms, Change in Officer Forms, Event Packets, Student Organization Conduct letters, etc.) into their designated Google folders and Google Drives
- In collaboration with other offices, conducts student membership and officer eligibility for all RSO and Greek students
- Supports in the compilation of accurate and organized semester community grade reports
- Works directly with the Assistant Director and Leadership Development Coordinator to provide support for Leadership Programs, including the Leadership & Career Conference and the Leadership and Career Certificate Program (e.g. managing program registration, maintaining event databases, folders, and forms, etc.)
- Assist the Campus Programming and Leadership Development staff in researching best practices and benchmarking programs and services at like-institutions to inform programming and new-initiative decision-making
- Provides operational support to the Commuter Student Locker Program, including maintaining accurate records of locker loans, managing combinations and keys, and resolving maintenance issues with Student Union staff
- Reserves event spaces for various Student Engagement and Campus Programming and Leadership Development Teams’ events and programs. Meets with designated campus and community partners (Event Services; Facilities, Development & Operations; on and off campus caterers and vendors, etc.) as appropriate for confirmation of spaces and event logistics.
- Supports Student Engagement and Campus Programming and Leadership Teams in completing internal department documents for programs and events (i.e. program folder information, area budget logs, Schedule-At-A-Glance for student assistant hours, etc.)
- Follows appropriate financial university policies and procedures for purchases for Student Engagement and Campus Programming and Leadership Development Teams’ programs and events
- Submits appropriate paperwork for all purchases (i.e., requisitions, direct pays, etc.) and works with the designated campus offices to ensure all vendors (on and off campus) are paid accurately and on-time
- Supports the Assistant and Associate Directors in maintaining and updating their area’s budget and allocations
- Serves as back-up to Senior Operations Specialist for any department budget processing when needed (i.e. requisitions, direct pays, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of common computer applications: Microsoft Suite (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, etc.) and GSuite (Google Team Drive, Google Forms, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated competence in effectively presenting standard information in writing
- Knowledge of basic fiscal operations and in supporting and monitoring program budget allocations
- Skilled in coordinating and prioritizing multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, and complete projects accordingly
- Skilled in methods, procedures and practices, for providing high quality customer service and ensuring customer satisfaction
- Skilled to be able to handle a high degree of customer contact surrounding potentially emotional/controversial issues and deal with conflict while maintaining a sense of perspective and professionalism
- Skilled in clearly answering questions and explaining procedures and policies to students and the public in an efficient and courteous manner; apply judgment, discretion and initiative in performing a variety of tasks
- Skilled in solving common and unique problems using reasoning and judgment to develop practical, thorough, and creative solutions
- Skilled in applying independently a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist
- Ability to collect and evaluate data, draw valid conclusions, and project consequences of various alternative courses of action
- Ability to learn and use university databases: PeopleSoft, GradesFirst, Financial Transaction Services, Canvas, Student Data Warehouse, Common Finance System
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and mass communication to students, staff, faculty, administrators, and external guests
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and external guests
- Ability to display a strong sense of commitment to customer needs, and possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved
- Ability to interpret and analyze data
- Ability to be flexible, embrace change, and manage frequent interruptions
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Hospitality Management, Business Administration or a related field
- Experience with customer service in an educational setting (K-12, higher education, community youth groups, etc.)
- Experience with event planning and/or hospitality management
- Experience with providing administrative support in an office environment
- Experience with databases and learning different technology platforms
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Non - Exempt
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,800/month - $4,200/month
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $6,347/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 25, 2021 through June 10, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend