The Senior Planner/Estimator/Scheduler provides primary oversight of Maintenance and Operations work schedules, backlogs, and Preventive Maintenance work. Additionally, this position is responsible for overseeing the Fee-for-Service process, ensuring it is followed and coordinated appropriately for timely chargeback of completed work. This position is also to develop and update a maintenance task cost library for estimating. This position is expected to coordinate efforts with those of Maintenance and Operations Managers, Supervisors, Facility Project Supervisors and the Technology System Specialist to ensure work is scheduled, executed and tracked appropriately in the Computer Maintenance Management Systems (TMA).
The Administrative Services unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across nine sites comprised of +150 acres, 81 buildings, and more than seven million gross square feet. Maintenance & Operations employees approximately 250 full time permanent staff and up to an additional nine part time, seasonal, or contract staff. In FY20-21, the assigned operating budget for the unit is $49 million not including funds associated with purchased utilities or maintenance and repair projects.
- Oversees the planning and scheduling of M&O staff 30, 60 and 90 day schedule to include skilled trades, at the shop and technician level, coordinating with Facility Project Supervisors to establish Shop and Technician daily schedules
- Prepares and coordinates maintenance work estimates and work schedules, and sequences work requirements
- Monitors and reports status on work in progress
- Ensures appropriate estimates of labor and materials are provided for all work orders
- Coordinates with Facility Project Supervisors to develop schedules of the various maintenance and service functions with one or more groups or crews of multi-skilled trades
- Prepares, delivers and reconciles cost estimates for campus customers requesting Fee-for-Service work
- Coordinates with Facility Project Supervisors to establish Project Numbers, Work Orders, Estimates, Work Schedules, Permit Applications, and ensures paperwork is processed and approvals are obtained
- Tracks status of Fee-for-Service work to ensure schedules and budgets are adhered to, ensures established procedures are followed, approvals are received in a timely manner and required forms are utilized
- Reviews final Fee-for-Service Costs and reconciles upon completion prior to submitting to FD&O Budget Analyst for final chargeback
- Oversees and implements a Multi-Year 52 Week Preventive Maintenance program that fulfills the requirements mandated by the CSU and local and state regulatory agencies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of computer software such as CMMS, Spreadsheets (MS Excel), Work Processing (MS Word), Project Management Software (MS Project), and Email
- Thorough knowledge of building materials, costing procedures and the sequential methods of modern construction practices so that various crafts are brought onto the project at the proper time to assure continuous progress toward completion
- Knowledge of the time required for performing various segments of construction and maintenance work
- General knowledge of job design and work sequencing related to construction projects
- Ability to determine and coordinate staffing, material and equipment needs for multiple jobs and projects
- General knowledge of budgeting procedures and ability to perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position
- General knowledge of the requirements for proper maintenance of mechanical equipment
- Ability to read, understand and utilize technical information and parts lists
- Ability to ensure accuracy and maintenance of assigned record-keeping systems, and to prepare reports
- Ability to motivate and lead the work of others
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of university personnel
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the position
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college in engineering, architecture, business management, plant management, industrial technology or public administration. Up to four years of applicable experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis
- Three years’ experience in a staff or supervisory capacity in plant operations administration or the construction industry, including experience in design, plan analysis and estimating for multiple trade projects
- Equivalent of four-year college degree in Facilities Management or Construction Management
- Previous experience utilizing a Computerized Maintenance Management System consisting of work orders, preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, deferred maintenance, work scheduling, and contract management is desired
- Four years journey level experience in one or more building or mechanical craft trades
Classification: Senior Planner/Estimator/Scheduler
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $6,867/month
Salary Range: $4,128/month - $7,468/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 26, 2021 through June 9, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).