Reporting to the Director of Digital Marketing and Communications for Strategic Communications and Marketing (SCM) with a dotted line to the Vice President for University Advancement, the incumbent is responsible for strategic marketing and communications content development and implementation for the division of University Advancement (UA). The incumbent develops and executes integrated communications and marketing plans for UA - leveraging multi-communication channels (traditional and online), website content strategy/development, and promotional materials such as but not limited to brochures/collateral and fact sheets – with meta goal of advancing the outreach, engagement, stewardship and impact of UA’s activities to on campus stakeholders and externally to alumni, donors, friends of SJSU, businesses, organizations and community at large. This incumbent also provides support by ensuring the university’s branding strategy and guidelines are adhered to when developing owned content.
The incumbent manages the development and implementation of all digital/online presence for University Advancement such as but not limited to websites, social media, video, audio, and blog channels in partnership and coordination with SCM team. The incumbent collaborates and partners with SCM team, division of UA (e.g. Alumni Association, Development, Stewardship), and other communications/marketing leads in other areas of the university.
- In coordination with the Vice President for UA and Director of Digital Marketing and Communications as well as respective UA leadership teams develop, build and implement marketing and communications plans to meet UA communication and marketing goals and priorities such as but not limited to alumni engagement, comprehensive campaign, and stewardship
- Serve as the primary copy writer and editor across UA’s print and digital platforms
- Create, implement, and measure the success of comprehensive marketing, communications, and outreach activities for UA’s programs and initiatives. Oversee plan implementation, monitor results, and adjust tactics as necessary to achieve goals
- Create, develop, distribute and maintain UA print and digital assets (e.g., brochures, reports, website, social media, and website) via multiple channels
- Develop and implement UA’s content strategy for fundraising-related communications and fundraising publications
- Manage all digital marketing channels (e.g. website, blogs, emails and social media) to ensure brand consistency
- Partner with SCM to build out and support the implementation of SJSU brand identity and strategy in order to ultimately advance UA’s goals, priorities, programs and initiatives
- Facilitate internal and external communications with diverse audiences including faculty, staff, students, prospective donors, current donors, and alumni
- Utilize and implement automated marketing and communications processes and technology (e.g. iModules, Marketo, OU Campus) to achieve operational efficiencies for a variety of stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of marketing functions, including marketing strategy/planning, direct marketing, event marketing, campaign marketing, collateral and video production, online and social media marketing, and traditional marketing channels and techniques
- Expert writing and editorial skills with the ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format
- Expert knowledge of communications and marketing objectives and ability to translate them both orally and in written format for effective communications and marketing campaigns
- Ability to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic communications and marketing plans
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications, media and/or marketing in order to develop and execute print and web communication strategies to promote and position the university
- Demonstrated ability to discover and compose compelling stories that not only convey but also humanize institutional messages and priorities through powerful narrative
- Demonstrated experience creating and enforcing editorial standards and guidelines
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and ability to produce engaging copy quickly and efficiently
- Skill in developing and pitching story ideas, conducting research and interviews, and checking facts
- Demonstrated ability to apply content strategy, marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns
- Knowledge of using iModules, Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications as well as Omni Update Campus as content management system platform
- Knowledge of using various social media channels (standard and emerging platforms)
- Knowledge of general practices, methods and procedures related to public affairs, media relations and marketing
- Bachelor’s degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Five years of related professional or technical experience
- Master’s degree
- Five years of related professional or technical experience writing compelling content for a variety of online and print publications
- Previous experience working in a higher education setting
- Previous experience in Communications, Marketing or Journalism
- Expert knowledge of multi-page publications with a variety of audiences in higher education
- Demonstrated experience working with marketing principles and practice as they relate to print and digital communications and marketing
- Two plus years of user-experience of Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications
- Five plus years of user-experience of Omni Update Campus or similar content management system for website development/editing/design
- Five plus years of experience as a native/primary user of various social media channels with ability to create and post social posts including images
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,000/month - $6,200/month
Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
This position is open until filled.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).