Reporting to the University Library Dean and receiving work lead direction from the Executive Assistant to the Library Dean, the Assistant to the Library Associate Deans works respectfully and cooperatively with employees of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library to perform duties under general supervision, but works independently to achieve specified outcomes. King Library is a unique collaboration between the City of San José and the San José State University.
The Assistant to the Library Associate Deans provides highly complex administrative and analytical support for the Library’s two Associate Deans, conducted with utmost diplomacy and confidentiality, and ensures effective and efficient operations of these offices through advancing project management, meeting management, special events, and team building. In addition, this position works collaboratively with the Library Administration Team to advance strategic initiatives and ensures day-to-day business functions.
- Serves as primary contact to negotiate and manage the needs of internal and external individuals and groups requesting time with the Associate Deans.
- Manages the planning and scheduling of the Associate Deans activities including meetings, conferences, appearances, and travel. Prepares agendas, itineraries, and materials.
- Acts as an internal and external resource on policy and procedural matters; and leading or coordinating projects involving internal and external parties.
- Manages, analyzes, prepares, and tracks budget and expenditure reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually).
- Monitors grant processes to ensure compliance with administrative policies and procedures and federal and state grant requirements.
- Serves as the back-up for the Executive Assistant to the Dean in times of absence, including administrative assistance to the Dean and serving as the note-taker in management team and advisory board meetings.
- Serves as a liaison with the San José Public Library to ensure effective collaboration of the King Management Team and to advance cross-organizational projects.
- Assists with recruitment activities of applicants and coordinates transitional activities for all library personnel changes.
- Reviews, processes, and reconciles professional development allocations and expenditures for University Library employees (managers, faculty, and staff).
- Maintains the University Library’s staff directory, shared calendars, listservs, emergency contact lists, and evacuation lists.
- Assists with recruitment and back-up coverage for student-assistant positions within the Dean’s Office and Operations and Administrative Services unit.
- Attends unit and library-wide meetings to remain informed about cross-library concerns and initiatives.
- Participates on library committees and task forces.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with broad administrative impact and implications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling; ability to effectively interpret, compose and format correspondence and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to research, develop, analyze, implement and evaluate policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply a high degree of judgement, discretion, and initiative in coordinating activities associated with the Dean, Associate Deans, and Library.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment, handle multiple work priorities, and organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to be proactive, flexible, and adapt quickly to new assignments and work under pressure.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group, and work in a team environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, SJSU, and City of San Jose policies and procedures; understand and interpret library rules and apply them with accuracy; provide standard information on library policies and procedures to library users
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures.
- Must possess strong oral communication skills and excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- A Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working in a university environment using Google Apps
- Intermediate or advanced proficiency in Excel or spreadsheets for data collection and analysis
- Demonstrated experience with some of the following: tracking budgets, calendar management, scheduling travel, interview itineraries, and onboarding
- Demonstrated excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,200/month - $6,000/month
Hiring Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 26, 2021 through April 11, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).