Job no: 499112
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Finance/Accounting, Probationary, Full Time
The Accountant II position involves the application of accounting principles and practices to the resolution of a variety of accounting functions and/or problems in Accounting Services. The Accountant II is responsible for financial reports and statements and/or analysis requiring in-depth understanding and interpretation in the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and compliance reporting requirements.
- Ensuring that assigned accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Recommend changes to and assist with the documentation and maintenance of business processes, standards and procedures.
- Developing financial statements and reports. Correcting and reconciling account balances to external data. Identifying actual or potential problems and recommending corrective or preventative action.
- Providing consultative and customer service to campus community to promptly resolve inquiries and or problems. Predicting the effects of changes in operating programs. Participate in cross training other Accountants to ensure continued operations in case of absences.
- Develop financial statements and reports (i.e. GAAP Journal Entries, TM1 Footnotes, and PBCs required by the CO, SCO, and external Auditors during Year-end process).
- Provides training, guidance and assistance to Accountants I and other professional and technical staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and general understanding of internal control methods
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data and prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports
- Ability to present statistical and mathematical data, apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems
- Knowledge of office methods and procedures, proficiency with current word processing and Spreadsheet, software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems
- Knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements and quarterly grant reporting requirements
- Knowledge of Cash Management, Bank Reconciliation, Investment and other Balance Sheet Account and Fund Reconciliations
- Knowledge of Accounts Receivable and Billing, Chargebacks, and AR Aging including collection of AR and reconciliation of Related Party transactions
- Ability to understand ad apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles such as GAAP, ICSUAM, IRS, State and other governmental issued rules
- Ability to make independent decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities and inquiries
- Ability to communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-accountants
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple demands to resolve issues and inquiries in a timely manner
- Ability to meet deadlines and work with minimum supervision
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems
- Ability to show initiative, punctuality, team work and dedication to achieve Accounting Department’s goals and missions
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Minimum 3 years of experience in higher education and fund accounting
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP general ledger module
Classification: Accountant II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,130/month - $6,100/month
Hiring Range: $4,161/month - $8,030/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 16, 2021 through March 7, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend