*This is a temporary, 6 months, non-benefited position.*
Reporting to the Director of Digital Marketing and Communications in the department of Strategic Communications and Marketing (SCM) with a dotted line to the Vice President for Research and Innovation, the Research and Innovation Marketing and Communications Specialist is responsible for strategic outreach, marketing, and communications for the division of Research and Innovation. The incumbent develops and executes comprehensive and integrated communications and marketing plans leveraging multi-communication channels (traditional and online) including branding strategy, public relations plans, stories, news releases and promotional materials such as but not limited to brochures, fact sheets, and newsletters – with meta goal of advancing the impact, services and outreach of the division of Research and Innovation.
In collaboration with the Strategic Communications and Marketing team and the Division of Research and Innovation, the Research and Innovation Marketing Communications Specialist supports the mission of the university by creating and implementing integrated content and digital strategy for a wide range of Research and Innovation digital communication and marketing platforms, including but not limited to Research and Innovation websites, blogs, social media, video, audio, marketing automation platform and e-newsletters channels -- designed to market and promote SJSU to key audiences. The incumbent will organize and implement digital assets and publish digital content to maximize SJSU exposure and Research and Innovations’ various services/support and programs, promote SJSU’s brand and achieve communication goals via all digital communication channels while upholding SJSU’s web and accessibility standards. The Research and Innovation Marketing Communications Specialist will also provide scheduled reports, audits and analysis related to Google Analytics, video, social media, search engine optimization, marketing campaigns, and advertising. The incumbent will organize digital assets and publish digital content to maximize SJSU and Research and Innovations various services/support and programs, promote SJSU’s brand and achieve communication goals via the web; and uphold SJSU’s web and accessibility standards. The incumbent collaborates and partners with Strategic Communications and Marketing team, division of Research and Innovation, and other communications/marketing leads in other areas of the university.
- Create and implement digital communications/marketing strategies on various communication channels (e.g. websites, social media, blogs, video, audio, e-marketing) that supports the Division of Research and Innovation’s strategic goals and key initiatives.
- Develop enewsletters, drip campaigns, and landing pages leveraging marketing automation software platforms (e.g. Marketo).
- Create digital advertising marketing plans and strategies to increase brand awareness, engage prospective and current foundations/companies, and other key Research and Innovation’s initiatives.
- Lead Research and Innovation’ social media strategy in collaboration with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Specialist and share best practices/examples with SJSU Campus Communicators Network.
- Lead in the development, ideation and scheduling of Research and Innovation’ social media content in coordination with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Specialist; and manage a rich content calendar for implementation.
- Continually assess and remediate websites for accuracy; oversee regular review of digital content with subject matter experts to ensure content remains accurate and current and ensure online content meets legal and compliance requirements.
- Employ user testing and analytical techniques (based on data, including web traffic, user interactions, search terms and audience demographics), to guide content decisions and improve the usability of Research and Innovation’s web presence and digital communication channels.
- Analyze and report on performance, trends and user engagement of various digital communication channels such as but not limited to websites, social media channels, video/audio, marketing tools; create and analyze social listening reports; gain insight and make necessary adjustments to put towards future communication/marketing strategies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert writing, editorial, interpersonal communication, active listening, analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format.
- Strong knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Comprehensive knowledge of web communications with the ability to develop and execute communications in evolving media to effectively promote and position the university.
- Expert in web content standards, blogging, email marketing, and social media marketing.
- Knowledge in marketing automation software platforms (e.g. Marketo) to develop but not limited to enewsletters, drip campaigns, and landing pages.
- Knowledge in content management systems to update, curate and manage digital content.
- Knowledge in social media platforms/tools (e.g. Hootsuite, SocialSprout, Oktopost), and an understanding of audience demographics and how they use these platforms to guide content and technology (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Google, Reddit, Snapchat, Pinterest, Periscope, blogs, wikis, RSS, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge in data and analytics to measure impact, create metrics reports and refine strategies (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, various social tools.)
- Ability to produce still photos, video images/videography and live content for a variety of communications. Skills and ability with photo and video editing software (online and native applications) is necessary.
- Ability to write and edit HTML and CSS.
- Knowledge in project management meet deadlines, follow-through on assignments, take direction, attend to and communicate about the details of any assignment and juggle multiple competing priorities. Demonstrate personal initiative and strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of web usability, accessibility, browser compatibility, design, prototyping and deploying mobile-friendly, responsive websites.
- Knowledge of all aspects of digital communications, including the technical aspects of various media.
- Knowledge of online and native creative applications, such as Photoshop and Premiere, and the encoding standards for optimal online delivery of multimedia content.
- Knowledge of digital trends, current affairs and issues in higher education with the ability to understand issues from a broad, strategic perspective.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to work in relevant applications; including but not limited to, browser tools, content management systems, source code editors, photography editing software, blogging platforms, social media management tools and email marketing tools.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with content experts and contributors, colleagues of all technical abilities.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with creative directors, designers, writers, editors, photographers and producers.
- Ability to work with web developers and programmers.
- Bachelor’s Degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Five years of related professional or technical experience
- Master’s Degree
- Three to five years of related professional or technical experience writing compelling content for a variety of online and print publications
- Three to five years of user-experience of Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications
- Three to five years of user-experience of Omni Update Campus or similar content management system for website development/editing/design
- Three to five years of experience as a native/primary user of various social media channels to create and post social posts including images
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Experience in Communications, Marketing, or Journalism
- Art direction, project planning, and project management experience
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with multi-page publications with a variety of audiences in higher education
- Experience working with marketing principles and practice as they relate to print and electronic communications
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,000/month - $6,200/month
Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 8, 2020 through January 3, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).