The Director of Research Compliance leads and manages university compliance with federal regulations, state law, funding agency regulations, and related policies and regulations of the CSU and SJSU. The Director oversees, guides, educates, and assists administrative processes for faculty, staff, and students in areas of research compliance which currently include: responsible conduct of research, conflicts of interest, allegations of research misconduct, human and animal subject protection, biosafety compliance, export control, and other related compliance areas. The Director’s leadership role, which will involve 1-3 direct reports, comprises the establishment of strategies, priorities, policies, and procedures for the research compliance. The Director will have direct responsibility for the areas of responsible conduct of research and conflict of interest and will oversee the Research Compliance team for the other compliance areas through strong leadership, mentoring, and providing professional development opportunities where possible. This position is charged with maintaining standards that are essential for the conduct of legal and ethical research at SJSU. In partnership with the SJSU Research Foundation, the Director works closely with faculty and students to ensure compliance in all aspects of their research and scholarly projects. The Director serves as primary campus representative on research compliance matters and is responsible for the administrative oversight of faculty research compliance committees and participates in California State University System-wide workgroups and initiatives as well as national professional organizations. The Director ensures campus equivalency/leadership with other CSU campuses in maintaining CSU System-wide standards for research integrity programs.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Provides direct oversight, administration, management, and maintenance of the SJSU compliance program including, but not limited to responsible conduct of research, research conflict of interest (individual and institutional), human and animal subjects protection, biosafety, export control, and allegations of research misconduct.
- Independently responsible for the administrative oversight of faculty research compliance committees.
- Ensures that committees are supported and operating effectively.
- Ensures that committee members have up-to-date guidance and education on complex federal regulations, state law and university policies and procedures.
- Recommends and provides support to the AVP of Research on committee staffing.
- Serves as the primary SJSU representative for CSU and national professional workgroups and initiatives.
- Provide assistance to management in preparation for accreditation, federal assurance and reporting, and in various compliance and quality assurance activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret and apply federal and state research guidelines, policies and practices and complex sponsor requirements and recommending actions and resolving complex issues.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant policies and procedures, including personnel, regulatory compliance, accounting, purchasing and financial management of contracts and grants.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Skilled in establishing relationships with relevant regulatory agencies.
- Ability to manage compliance review boards or committees.
- In-depth understanding of operational requirements pertaining to management and implementation of protocol process.
- Ability to write reports, policies, guidelines and procedures with extensive use of software tools.
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; particularly within the academic environment
- Demonstrated sound judgment, decision-making, critical thinking, and creative problem solving.
- Ability to interact effectively with a broad group of stakeholders both internal and external. Ability to coordinate with other units to achieve results.
- Ability to work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coaching and facilitating academic research compliance initiatives.
- Ability to work and collaborate with large, multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Strong supervisory and management skills.
- Ability to lead and supervise a team of research compliance professionals and overseeing budget requests.
- Ability to listen and synthesize information from different disciplines in order to serve the needs of multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Ability to significantly impact, support and enhance an organization’s research enterprise.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of five years of experience in managing one or more academic research administration and compliance functions
- Extensive experience in one or more research compliance field(s)
- Experience in supervising direct reports who work in a high pressure, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly within the academic environment
- Advanced Degree in a related field and Professional Compliance-Oriented Certification
- A minimum of five plus years of experience in managing academic research administration and compliance functions
- Broad and extensive level of experiences in compliance issues
- Experience in sound judgment, decision-making, critical thinking, and creative problem solving
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 22, 2020 through October 22, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).